• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst cooking show ever

lancastermike

Two pages of hate and NOBODY has mentioned Guy Fieri. Granted, he doesn't do a lot of cooking on his "cooking" shows. But he and Sandra Lee are the two FoodTV hosts I cannot sit through. I would rather watch what's on Home Shopping Network than a single minute of Guy Fieri.

Giada? At least her first season was OK. It wasn't all cleavage and dental work.

Tyler? Obviously thinks a lot of himself, calling his recipes "The Ultimate Such-and-Such." But at least he cooks. I'll watch his show just to ogle his copper cookware collection.

Ina? Used to love her show. (Despite the attack of the gay hydrangeas.) Then she went "Back to Basics" and I quit watching. I wonder how her ratings have fared ever since the "kid with cancer" incident.

• Like 1

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

"Throwdown with Bobby Flay". I can't stand this show. It's not the cooking part of it that I can't stand, it's that Flay comes off as such an arrogant, condescending a$$. The whole premise of the show - Flay showing up the small guy and putting him/her down - just makes me angry.

That's funny. I always thought he tried to undercut her every chance he got. Seemed to me he kept butting in and correcting her, or trying to hog the spotlight. Maybe I was responding to the same body language you noticed, only I identified with her?

Either way, their on-camera chemistry (or lack thereof) was just so awkward it was unbearable to watch.

I agree. It was dreadful. I seem to remember a time when he wasn't on with her, and it was a pretty good show then. But maybe I'm just thinking of her cookbooks, which seem to be all hers.

I like Bitchin Kitchen. I must be the only one. But I think she's funny, and her food looks good.

My vote is for Kelsy or Kylie or whatever her name is. I caught about 15 seconds of one of her shows on the Cooking Channel.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

"Throwdown with Bobby Flay"....I agree!

The whole idea is terrible, & Bobby is full of himself - smirking & puffed up when the crowd realize there is a "star" in the crowd. I recall one show in particular, where he was trying to come up with better food than a food cart was serving. No expense was spared on Bobby's part, so there was no way he could have sold the item for the $5 or so that the vendor was charging. How fair is that? It's just a mean-spirited show in my opinion.

The food channel isn't worth watching anymore, I still like PBS. Love Lidia Bastianich , especially when she cooks with her grandchildren.

Edited by jayhay (log)

as Ive said, take out the Bitchin' and that show had some Cooking.

with regard to Capril, I found it odd that her husband was there and they were Oil and Water, never to be a vinaigrette

I later found out that he is actually an acomplished Chef.

I just thought of two more PBS shows I can't stand -

"Christina Cooks" - she has this guy with her for half the show serenading her on guitar about her cooking. Weird.

"Joanne Weir's Cooking Class" - her personality and manner of speaking just grate on my nerves. She's talking to grown adults like they're three year olds - "Okay, so now to get this bell pepper cooked- - have you ever eaten a bell pepper? - we have to cut it into strips with this knife. You've seen a knife like this before, right?". Drives me insane - it's the kindergarten teacher voice or something...

I like Bitchin Kitchen. I must be the only one. But I think she's funny, and her food looks good.

I like Bitchin' Kitchen, too. Her food is approachable and well-made and she is a doll with a wicked sense of humor. The ever changing cabinets with their metal-scapes are an in your face to Aunt Sandy Lee.

On the flipside, can I say how hard/weird/unnatural it is to have a camera focused on you and a big fuzzy mic boom almost touching your face? I give them all credit. I really rate them on whether they know their stuff. I find Alton Brown abrasive but I admire him. I think most Italians would be confused by the stuff Giada DeLaurentis produces. But some of this stuff is about personalities and some of you go for the jugular!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

The whole idea is terrible, & Bobby is full of himself - smirking & puffed up when the crowd realize there is a "star" in the crowd. I recall one show in particular, where he was trying to come up with better food than a food cart was serving. No expense was spared on Bobby's part, so there was no way he could have sold the item for the $5 or so that the vendor was charging. How fair is that? It's just a mean-spirited show in my opinion.

I disagree on this one. I like Flay, and seeing some of the food he produces on iron chef makes me realize that when he challenges someone on throwdown he's actually bringing a lot of business to that kitchen. He seems almost appologietic when he wins and doesn't strike me as a poor loser when he doesn't win. I know he brings a stocked pantry with him when he goes on a challenge, but it doesn't always help him as the judges are almost always local and can tell the difference between the real thing and what Flay has made. I also get a huge kick out of his two lovely assistants who always roll thier eyes at him. They're just so 'not impressed' by him. They treat him like he's more of a pain in the ass, but they also clearly get along. I admire Flay and think that in a way he's a very smart television personality with at least two shows that celebrate the average home-chef's talents. It endears him to the public a lot more than someone who talks down to, or simply instructs, the audience, or their guests.

• Like 1

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Im also a big fan of Bobby Flay. I capped and have most of an early show Hot Off the Grill.

I think he really understands how to cook and Ive learned a lot from him. we need to remember these shows are sometimes not just about cooking, but have to have some hooks that are ''entertaining''

I also have most of his other shows.

if you cant entertain, what ever that means, You Are FIred!

I agree that FoodTV is less about cooking for a long time and more about travel and entertainment. thats there model.

I cut the Cable a long time ago, and now have over the air HDTV>

think how small the National debt would be if people realized that 50 - 75 $$ a month was fairly inefficient use for the hard earned $$$

they dumped Sara Moulton, well, she's short, a little wide, and has a type of mid-west vanilla voice.

but she can really cook and if you ignore the rest you can learn a lot!

• Like 1

I've grown accustomed to Bobby Flay. I dispised him when he was first on teevee. He's constantly clapping his hands and saying "all right!" to the camera (which I know was nerves)in his early shows was awful. I will admit that I want to hide his blue cornmeal and cornhusks from him when he's on Iron Chef. I agree that he's a good loser on "Throwdown", and he has had his ass handed to him a few times.

they dumped Sara Moulton, well, she's short, a little wide, and has a type of mid-west vanilla voice.

Sara quit. She didn't like the direction the network was going in. And though she is a little vanilla, she is not from the MidWest and her husband is a hip-hop promoter.

Edited by annabelle (log)
  • Like 1

but she can really cook and if you ignore the rest you can learn a lot!

Wait, when did we start condemning people who are "short" and "a little wide?" (And yes, she's short, but where does this "a little wide" even come from?)

No No NO

thats what FootTV did

Not Me!

she has been on PBS

she is superb! if she is 'dull' I dont care she can cook!!!!

now about those "Extra Cups ..."

Gina and Nigella have used them to some effect ....

of course Nigella is a Serious Student of the Low Cut Fuzzzy Sweater!!!!

of course Nigella is a Serious Student of the Low Cut Fuzzzy Sweater!!!!

seriously, Nigella is the sexiest woman on tv, regardless of the station.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Sarah Moultons on and off smile annoys the hell outta me

Is she the blonde that does that "Weeknight Meals" show, or whatever it's called? If I'm thinking of the right one, yeah - she's very plastic-y. Like a Barbie.

I dont know, but every Thanksgiving shed refer to the turkey as The Turkey Lurky

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I disagree on this one. I like Flay, and seeing some of the food he produces on iron chef makes me realize that when he challenges someone on throwdown he's actually bringing a lot of business to that kitchen. He seems almost appologietic when he wins and doesn't strike me as a poor loser when he doesn't win. I know he brings a stocked pantry with him when he goes on a challenge, but it doesn't always help him as the judges are almost always local and can tell the difference between the real thing and what Flay has made. I also get a huge kick out of his two lovely assistants who always roll thier eyes at him. They're just so 'not impressed' by him. They treat him like he's more of a pain in the ass, but they also clearly get along. I admire Flay and think that in a way he's a very smart television personality with at least two shows that celebrate the average home-chef's talents. It endears him to the public a lot more than someone who talks down to, or simply instructs, the audience, or their guests.

Throwdown is the show that made me like Bobby Flay. The free advertising on national tv for tasty non-chain food. And he does not try to win IMO. He goes in there and makes his own, upscale version of whatever the food is. Then they have the regulars judge it. More often than not, the locals win because they like the food they have been eating more than some foo-foo experiment that Bobby did. The locals get to look good, win quite often, and no shame if they loose to some famous dude. We get some interesting spin on a favorite, close-ups of the original dish. All win.

I just thought of two more PBS shows I can't stand -

"Christina Cooks" - she has this guy with her for half the show serenading her on guitar about her cooking. Weird.

"Joanne Weir's Cooking Class" - her personality and manner of speaking just grate on my nerves. She's talking to grown adults like they're three year olds - "Okay, so now to get this bell pepper cooked- - have you ever eaten a bell pepper? - we have to cut it into strips with this knife. You've seen a knife like this before, right?". Drives me insane - it's the kindergarten teacher voice or something...

I agree with both of your choices. The guitar guy is odd, and her food is boring. Joanne Weir creeps me out, it must be her voice.

Also, anything that involves Bobby Flay. Everyone should try goggling "I hate Bobby Flay" quite hilarious results!

On the flipside, can I say how hard/weird/unnatural it is to have a camera focused on you and a big fuzzy mic boom almost touching your face? I give them all credit. I really rate them on whether they know their stuff. I find Alton Brown abrasive but I admire him. I think most Italians would be confused by the stuff Giada DeLaurentis produces. But some of this stuff is about personalities and some of you go for the jugular!

couldn't agree more, rancho gordo. having done a few on camera segments myself, i no longer have that deer-in-headlights feeling i had the first few times, but it is indeed hard/weird/unnatural, and to make it look otherwise is a skill.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Christina Cooks IS the WORST!

Shes MESSY, the food is gross, she actually truly believes that all the eggs at the mkts would have turned into chickens had

us horrible carnivores had not put them in the refrigerator...@@

And she USED to say "a pinch of salt to close the vegetables shut." What does that mean?

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!