• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

FoodMuse

Tod Mun Goong (Thai shrimp cakes)

5 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of making these today or tomorrow. Looks simple. Puree raw shrimp to a paste and add in seasonings like fish sauce, chili and onion then shallow fry. I'm seeing lots of recipes around the web.

Have you made this before? or had it at a restaurant?

Thanks!

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I have -- many times. I think that the key is refraining from too much binder in the meat, if any at all, which can produce shrimp hockey pucks. IIRC, the best ones I've made used a couple of fat sea scallops to that end.

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thanks Chris!

Bahh! Just opened the package and Fresh Direct screwed up my order. They sent me salmon instead of shrimp, but what the heck I'll make it anyway.

As a binder I think I'll just use an egg yolk.

Other ingredients:

• cilantro
  • Fish Sauce
  • sugar
  • green curry paste
  • minced serrano
  • vidalia onion
  • maybe ginger, I'm on the fence about that one.

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Be light handed when making them. If not, you will again get hockey pucks.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

It was fantastic!!!!! I worked off of maybe 4 recipes I found on Thai websites and came up with the following. I think the Panko coating really elevated the dish. Very crunchy outside with soft salmon and crunchy cilantro stems and vidalia onion. I'm definitely making this for the next party I have and making them appetizer size.

I tossed 1lb of salmon in the blender along with:

• 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
  • lots of ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp Green Thai curry paste

Chopped it to a puree, then realized I had to fish the skins out. :hmmm: What's lovely is the skin stayed in whole pieces and the meat had been removed. Kind of amazing.

I added the fish mixture to a bowl and folded in:

• a good handful of cilantro, with stems because we like them
  • about 1/4 cup of minced vidalia onion

I chilled it for an hour and dredged 1/4-1/2 inch patties in Panko crumbs.

Shallow fried in shallow peanut oil for no more than 3 minutes per side.

We had it with my roast asparagus wrapped in bacon, pea puree, homemade mango ketchup, yogurt and Matouk's hotsauce. Epic.

I can't wait to make it with shrimp.

Edited by FoodMuse (log)

www.fearlesscooking.tv

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Ingredients (for 4 people):
      3 long sticks of rhubarb
      250g of strawberries
      4 tablespoons of xylitol
      4 tablespoons of butter
      150g of desiccated coconut

Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Wash the rhubarb, peel it and cut it into 1 cm pieces. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of xylitol, mix it in and leave for half an hour. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cut them into small pieces. Drain the rhubarb from the juice and mix it in with the strawberries.
      Melt the butter. Mix the desiccated coconut with the rest of the xylitol and butter. Smooth some small casserole dishes with a bit of butter. Put the rhubarb and strawberries into them. Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut crumble topping. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Serve with strawberry or vanilla ice cream.

• By Kasia
      Strawberry dessert with chia seeds

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      300g of strawberries
      300ml of milk (it may be coconut milk or whatever you prefer)
      honey or maple syrup
      4 tablespoons of chia seeds
      fruit and peppermint leaves for decoration

Clean the strawberries and remove the shanks. Add the milk and one tablespoon of honey or maple syrup. Blend it thoroughly. Try it and if necessary add a bit more honey. Add the chia seeds, mix them in and leave in the fridge for 4-5 hours. Stir once again. Put the dessert into a small bowl and decorate with the fruit and peppermint leaves.

The inspiration for this dessert comes from "Smaki życia" ("Flavour of Life") by Agnieszka Maciąg

• By ChristysConfections
      Hi everyone!

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section. I am looking for recommendations on where to find a used/economically priced climate controlled (low humidity and refrigerated, but not too cold) chocolate display case as well as a regular refrigerated display case (bakery style). Something like this, but it doesn't need to be too fancy looking. I am living in Canada on the West Coast, so the closer to local, the better. I'm finding it very challenging to find something. I found and excellent deal on a couple of used ones in the USA, but the seller doesn't want to deal with the hassle of having it crated and shipped. I'm trying to keep up to date searching on the Ecole Chocolat graduate forum as well as The Chocolate Life classifieds. 

Also, does anyone know if a smaller table-top type climates controlled chocolate display case exists? Or are the only options out there for larger models?

Warm Regards,
      Christy
    • By Lam
      So I've been looking for the ultimate matcha brownies (technically blondies but it just doesn't have the same ring to it). I've made chewy and fudgy regular brownies, but I find white chocolate based blondies to be much trickier. I have made a few matcha brownie recipes in the past, but they all came out sad and cakey. So I have taken it upon myself to come up with my own recipe. My matcha brownies came out very moist and "fudgy" but not chewy. I'm thinking next time I should try using vegetable oil instead of butter and only dark brown sugar. 

• By ltjazz
      Hey all,

I've made thicker and creamier sorbets with 25% to 35% sugar strained fruit purees and sugar, syrups, and other stabilizers that have worked well. However, because it's so much fruit and little to no water it can be an expensive project.

I am trying to make "Water Ice" or "Italian Ice" in my home ice cream machine. Think of textures similar to Rita's Water Ice, Court Pastry Shop, or Miko's in Chicago. It eats much lighter than a sorbet but isn't really icy, but it's also not thick like sorbet. Ritas uses "flavoring" and sugar, while the other two use fruit juice. I'm thinking of thinning the strained fruit juice with water and adding a stabilizer, but I'm having trouble getting this in my home ice cream machine without it freezing solid like granita.

Can anyone suggest a way to use real fruit juice, water, and a combination and concentration of stabilizers to get a looser, frozen fruit dessert that isn't icy?