• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jake's Frozen Custard in Paoli

SaxChik

I had the pleasure of lunching at Jake's Frozen Custard in Paoli today. Missy, the owner, is from Wisconsin. She was working in pharmaceuticals, got tired of traveling, and decided to open an authentic Wisconsin frozen custard shop here in PA. She named it after her dad, Jake.

I treated myself to a brat (hard to find around these parts). The brat was nicely cooked ... crispy with a nice snap in a real roll (not a hot dog bun). You could get it with onions and/or kraut. I opted for the onions. My friend and I also split an order of deep fried cheese curds. This was my first adventure into the wild world of cheese curds and these did not disappoint. Glad my friend and I shared, tho. Those things can weigh a girl down.

I ended my meal with a nice dish of Snickerdoodle frozen custard. Missy was generous with the custard tastings. The Snickerdoodle was vanilla frozen custard, mixed with caramel and crushed up Snickers bars. Amazingly creamy, rich and delicious.

Jake's is definitely worth checking out. With Missy's thick Wisconsin accent, you'll feel like you're vacationing in The Dells!

jakes.jpg

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

I've been wanting to get out there - maybe this weekend. Only things missing from their menu are butter burgers and brandy manhattans - as I recall from two long, sub-zero winters in Stevens Point WI, Wisconsin consumes more brandy (per head, perhaps) than any other state.

Wish someone would bring real frozen custard to Center City.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

There's a frozen custard place outside of Portland (oregon, not maine...) that I've been meaning to try. But we're going back to WI at the end of July for a family reunion so I might just wait and get my fix then! Kopps, here I come! And what kind of custard place doesn't have butter burgers?!? If you can't clog your arteries beginning of the meal to the end, it's just not authentic WI fare! :rolleyes:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown