• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for potato salad with sriracha mayonnaise dressing

Zeemanb

Quick question here - My potato salad recipe for this weekend begins with roasted new potatoes and a mayo/sriracha dressing. Trying to think of what to add from there without including the normal hard boiled egg, celery, etc.....

Blanched/chopped fresh green beans...pickled asparagus....I know some obvious and delicious stuff is escaping me here..... IDEAS?

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Capers

squeeeze them dry then chop if you have the bigger ones.

Half sour pickels: scrape off the inner stuff finely chop.

Why not eggs?

there is a way around the HB eggs ive discovered:

crack and egg in a non stick with some Lube:

let it just set completely

cool chop = HB eggs.

finely chopped green onions? its endless ..

spanish smoked paprika?

I know, I think my problem is that there are SO MANY options my brain just shuts down.....so hard to know when to say when.

Depending on what we get from our CSA in the morning, some batonettes of icicle radishes would be a good textural component along w/very finely sliced spring onions.

All the things I have cooked and it's potato salad that gives me brain-block.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I like the combo of shrimp with sriracha mayonnaise, with some fresh chopped cilantro to perk it up. Maybe toasted sesame seeds on top?

Instead of combining more ingredients into the potato salad, how about putting something else on the side to set off the salad? People can go back and forth, tasting the contrast of the two. Those radishes sound good. So does green beans or asparagus with vinaigrette.

What about chickpeas? You can cook them fresh if you have advance notice, or used canned ones. Rinsing the canned ones with water and a teaspoon of white vinegar really brightens them up. This might go well with the siracha, but I recently did a warm potato salad with chopped chipotle peppers (the ones that come in a can and are kinda paste-y) and it really lent a smokey element to the potatoes.

Oh yeah, don't forget to stir in some chopped green onions as the last step. I find the crisp, green taste of the green onions cuts down on a too-rich dressing.

Edited by nakedsushi (log)
nakedsushi.net (not so much sushi, and not exactly naked)

Okey dokey....after tasting the actual sriracha mayo I'd be using and taking a trip to the Farmer's Market, I went with roasting cubed new potatoes to get a little texture on them and put enough sauce in the mayo to give it some decent heat. To that I added coins of thin fresh asparagus spears, little batons of white "hail stone" radishes from my CSA, a small dice of raw red bell pepper, paper thin slices of spring onions, AND.....roughly chopped Peppadew peppers. My wife loves it, so it should be a crowd pleaser tomorrow. I'll probably add some fresh parsley from my herb garden when I serve it. Thanks for the ideas! Sriracha is such an ideal ingredient in potato salad that I'll be playing with this all summer.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011