• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Having people over

Lior

Not that I have a lot to contribute to this topic, but I am confused. What is the actual problem with onions and garlic that they must be omitted or left on the side? I have reread the entire topic and can't find exactly why they are a problem? Allergies? Cultural? Religious?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd ditch the Indian spicing altogether. They probably prepare Indian food at home on a regular basis. And when they go out to eat, it's likely they choose Indian so they don't have to cook at home.

But as guests in someone else's home? Unless you're Indian, I would cook something more familiar to you. Likely if they wanted to eat something that has Indian spicing, they'd rather just eat Indian food rather than bbq with some Indian-influenced spicing. It would be like when non-Thai people want to impress me with their Thai cooking, and they make "green curry" with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

For another main, something like a large bourek or two--one filled with spinach and cheese, another filled with meat (ground chicken?), etc.

falafel would likely go over well

kofta, too, if you can use chicken.

I'd probably do some kind of grilled fish, too, with sauces on the side.

Grilled chicken with Mediterranean spicing rather than Indian. You could also do skewers so they can eat them in pita, rather than cooking large pieces of chicken.

Just think of a typical meal you'd make for 20 of your friends, and consider those options. You don't have to make special concessions just because they're Indian (other than taking into consideration standard dietary restrictions).

Not that I have a lot to contribute to this topic, but I am confused. What is the actual problem with onions and garlic that they must be omitted or left on the side? I have reread the entire topic and can't find exactly why they are a problem? Allergies? Cultural? Religious?

Some strict Indian vegetarians do not eat onions and garlic. There are a variety of reasons for this, probably the main ones being:

*They are supposed to arouse base passions. This is according to traditional Indian medicine and ways of classifying food items.

*They are associated with the preparation of meat dishes.

Jains in particular do not eat onions or garlic at all, and some Hindus don't either. There are also some people who will prepare onion and garlic free dishes on certain occasions such as paritcular religious occassions.

To be honest, I think it would be a mistake to assume that these particular vegetarians don't eat onion or garlic, as many Indian vegetarains do and I think there are some Middle Eastern dishes which would not be the same without onions and garlic! Just ask and you may save yourself a lot of time and effort.

I also just want to say that I agree with prasantrin post above.

Edited by Jenni (log)

That's because you said it first! :laugh: So really, I agreed with you!

Regarding Jainism, there was a previous topic here that explains a lot about the food restrictions. As I understand it, any food that results in the death of something (animal, plant) is forbidden. So not only onions and garlic, but also potatoes and other root vegetables. Also, nothing fermented, so no yoghurt or cheese, and no milk that is not absolutely fresh.

Like Jenni, I would not assume anyone in this particular group is Jain or does not eat garlic and onions. I'm sure someone would let you know if that were a limitation, since it's a pretty big limitation.

That's because you said it first! :laugh: So really, I agreed with you!

You said it better though, and more clearly!

By the way, it's not just Jains that avoid onion and garlic so do not just assume that if they are not Jain, then you are ok. Certain Hindu sects also do it, and in addition some Buddhists. So best to ask and then you will be completely sure!

well I think I will have someone ask about such limitations- will be easier to deal with. Falafel is a great idea. I do see the point of not making Indian food and all. The reason I contemplated it was because whenever this group gets invited out for dinner by the local "hosts" they request to go to an Indian restaurant. But I think in general you are right. I will probably still do the Samosa sausage roll and perhaps the cauliflower as the locals will enjoy this too. The rest will be our regular stuff. I will take photos! I appreciate all the advice really a lot.

• 1 year later...

I once again had a delegation from India over for dinner (Sabbath dinner for us!). I made a few Indian style dishes which were greatly appreciated, although I do not know if they were "good". My family enjoyed them and all in all it was a lovely eveing. I made Halwa Gajar, this recipe which was well liked : http://www.cdkitchen...-Ca114573.shtml, This Chicken recipe for those who eat chicken: http://allrecipes.co...tomato-chicken/ (was okay-a bit oily I think) and fresh whole fish which we love but I do not think it was a success with our guests. (I would love any basic recipe or suggestions for the future)

very delicious and very sweet!

Carrot Halva Gajar Halva.jpg

Making the vegetable curry dish:

Indian Vegetable dish in the making.jpg

Making the chicken:

Indian style chicken.jpg

Indian dinner 1.jpg

Indian dinner 2.jpg

Indian dinner 3.jpg