• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rapture Food - your last day on earth

So what would you eat if the world were ending tomorrow?

The world is not ending tomorrow. Camping has said the world won't end until August. Saturday is the Rapture. Which means, for the rest of us, raiding the fridges of the Raptured! Hmm, on second thought, probably all they'll leave behind is three-bean casserole and Spam.

That's just not very nice.

Believe or no, (I don't) that is just the stereotyping that has this country in such a mess. I am embarrassed for such a thing. You should rethink your wording in case you didn't mean it so, which is easy to do.

If it were my last day.....I want to try everything I never had the chance to. Plus, there must be Uni, Salmon eggs and sashime, Pho, Perfectly rare steak and Icy cold pure fresh water with lemon. (An egg yolk thrown into the mix somewhere wouldn't hurt my feelings at all!)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Just got back from Balthazar, and I want what the couple at the next table was having, which I think was pitched as something like "seafood salad for two," consisting of two stacked trays, oysters on the half shell over ice on the bottom, a heap of cold shrimp, clams, mussels, crab claws, lobster, and probably a few other items on the top tray.

I was going to post a picture of my breakroom table, but forgot my camera link-y cord thingy ( :blink:), but the co-workers have brought in a cake decorated with cracked lines like an earthquake hit it frosted with "Happy Pre-Rapture Day," a whole slough of Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs and Chocolate Filled Twinkies, some great tortilla chips and cheesy dip, cheese cake and the like. Someone's bringing in deviled eggs at lunch.

The funniest part of all of this is that we as a whole have been trying to eat better, encouraging each other, and bringing in good snacks. I think we just really latched onto an idea to bring in stuff we've been avoiding for 5 1/2 months!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Just got back from Balthazar, and I want what the couple at the next table was having, which I think was pitched as something like "seafood salad for two," consisting of two stacked trays, oysters on the half shell over ice on the bottom, a heap of cold shrimp, clams, mussels, crab claws, lobster, and probably a few other items on the top tray.

just reading through the posts, on my way to chime in with my own rapture meal, and here it is. plats de mer is what i call it, but if balthazar calls it seafood salad, fine by me. i'll take a triple-decker, since it's the last one....isn't it?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I was in Montreal some years ago and ate at Au Pied de Cochon. Their claim to fame is pork & foie gras frenzy. So for my rapture meal, I will have one of everything on their menu, chased down by copious amounts of red wine. For starters, though, I'll have a giant raw seafood & sashimi platter, filled mostly with uni, toro, and mackerel.

I would take the family To Fair Lawn's Picnic, start with the BLT salad,heirloom tomatos,double smoked bacon...work my way to the lobster roll, dabble in the morels risotto and pray there is a cheese infused tart for dessert - ohh wait... that is what I am doing tonight!

See you at 7:30 Christine!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

As others have mentioned, I'd have an appetizer of deviled eggs (with caviar, of course) and a dessert of devil's food cake (with a shot of Hot Damn schnapps on the side). My entree? Lobster fra diavolo, of course.

As you might guess, come August I'll be headed for the nether world, specifically the sixth circle of Hell. (Heresy trumps gluttony.) You can test yourself here.

If I were having a non-themed meal, I'd want three perfect sandwiches of bacon, goat cheese, and heirloom tomato on sourdough toast, followed by two cups of coffee with cream, followed by a large bowl of peach ice cream with sliced peaches. All ingredients would be made, raised, or roasted in West Michigan.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It's a hard choice. My DH said he'd go for wall-to-wall Napoleons, but I think I'd pick Cheese Blintzes with really good sour cream.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Heavy cream drip........

Ah, an i.v., that'll go straight to the old circulatory system!

Guess you woulden't have to worry about clogged arteries, just a blocked line....

Edited by highchef (log)

Well, I can tell you what it turned out to be--fried grits, beer-battered crepes with gruyere and fried onions, then mississippi mud pie for dessert. At least, it feels like the last meal I will eat!

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

As others have mentioned, I'd have an appetizer of deviled eggs (with caviar, of course) and a dessert of devil's food cake (with a shot of Hot Damn schnapps on the side). My entree? Lobster fra diavolo, of course.

As you might guess, come August I'll be headed for the nether world, specifically the sixth circle of Hell. (Heresy trumps gluttony.) You can test yourself here.

If I were having a non-themed meal, I'd want three perfect sandwiches of bacon, goat cheese, and heirloom tomato on sourdough toast, followed by two cups of coffee with cream, followed by a large bowl of peach ice cream with sliced peaches. All ingredients would be made, raised, or roasted in West Michigan.

:biggrin:

Now *you,* I understand.

At 3:42 Chicago time, I'm doing 'leftover' soup, with no sense of deprivation whatever: mushrooms, asparagus, new red potatoes, diced Roma tomatoes, the last of the most recent roast chicken (cut up), wilted-down spinach and salad greens, plus cooked penne rigate and chicken stock. The appetizer was hummus on good buttered toast, and the wine is a perfectly nice American non-oaked Chard. Still deciding what to do for dessert.

I dare to suggest, however, Alex, that the Almighty and Eternal has more mercy for us who cherish his culinary gifts than Rev. Whatsisname ever did, or will. You might just find yourself at the heavenly feast yet; save a l'il room.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Now *you,* I understand.

At 3:42 Chicago time, I'm doing 'leftover' soup, with no sense of deprivation whatever: mushrooms, asparagus, new red potatoes, diced Roma tomatoes, the last of the most recent roast chicken (cut up), wilted-down spinach and salad greens, plus cooked penne rigate and chicken stock. The appetizer was hummus on good buttered toast, and the wine is a perfectly nice American non-oaked Chard. Still deciding what to do for dessert.

I dare to suggest, however, Alex, that the Almighty and Eternal has more mercy for us who cherish his culinary gifts than Rev. Whatsisname ever did, or will. You might just find yourself at the heavenly feast yet; save a l'il room.

Ah, thank you. Perhaps instead I should have some angel food cake with divinity fudge for dessert tonight. (And please see my PM.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

BOOO! It's 6:11PM Pacific Daylight Time, and here I am posting on eG.

Guess I just ate all that jamón ibérico de bellota, from my favorite local Spanish deli, for nothing! :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Darn, I guess that giant burger and homemade sausage I had for dinner will stay with me...my husband pointed out that maybe the Rapture DID happen, but we're all just sinners! Although I can't say I feel particularly pestilence-y yet...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown