• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rapture Food - your last day on earth

I work in radio, and recently our corporate offices added an ad to our streaming audio for Family Radio, a religious group who have spent all of their remaining money advertising that the end of the world is this Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 6 pm (time zone not stated). My co-workers and I have decided to celebrate tomorrow by having a Pre-Rapture Eat Whatever You Want Snack Friday. We will bring food we wouldn't eat unless it were the end of the world. Calories are banned from the building tomorrow.

So what would you eat if the world were ending tomorrow? Lots of melted cheese? Deep fried something (one co-worker was waxing poetic about deep frying a Chipotle burrito)?

I think I'm going to make this dessert my mom used to make for church suppers and the like, called alternately The Better Than Sex Cake or The Robert Redford Pie. Graham cracker crust, cream cheese filling, pudding like filling, lots of whipped cream. Lots of chocolate. I'd never make it for a regular event, but it's rich, comforting and reminds me of church! :smile:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Fois gras and lobster - lots of lobster with a cup of butter.

Note that since this is the "end" I won't have to worry about cholesterol, blood pressure and my fatty liver. Consuming the fatty liver of another creature is enough. :wub:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Fois gras and lobster - lots of lobster with a cup of butter.

That's hard to top.

Dry martinis and raw oysters until I pass out.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Wow - this is a tough one. I jumped right on it thinking I know what I would write, but now after three (deleted) versions, I can't decide what my last meal would be!

One option is Indian. After living 2.5 years in India I crave it like a junkie. Either tear your face off Andhra style at Nandhini's or the Mughlai dishes at 'A Taste of Rampur'.

But there was also that dish of baby clams with angel hair at Lygon st. in Melbourne...

That one night the portobello/pancetta/romano stuffed pork chops came out perfect, and the first time I nailed spaghetti carbonara would be up there.

It's fascinating how emotional food is. Recalling some of these meals is certainly a transportive experience! Some of the things I would envision as ideal 'last meals' aren't even very good food, just good experiences. Some of the nights we've stayed out way too late with good friends drinking too much coffee would be a great way to 'go out'. In that vein, one night at a little rooftop cafe in B'lore with good friends drinking personal pots of French press coffee, while two elderly Indian men played covers of classics like 'Layla'.

One backyard 'barbeque' making decadent discada with several families over is certainly another highlight. Making some off the cuff alfredo at a friends house while he grilled an entire (10lb) filet on his 10th floor balcony after a long, lazy day spent swimming with all the kids is another deep-rooted memory.

After a few years of culinary adventuring, it's interesting to me, looking back, how much the contents of the meals have faded and the memories of the companionship have not. I would have to say, any meal reasonably well-executed, even if it was just a burger on a grill would suffice for a 'last meal on earth'. The key would be sharing it with the right people, and making it memorable.

The REAL question, is what are you going to eat the morning of the 22nd? Now that the world has NOT ended, what's your first meal going to be? ;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Last meal would absolutely be langostino encocado (crayfish cooked in coconut-peanut curry in the coconut shell itself) from a little shack on the beach in Canoa, sopa de bolones de verde (catfish soup with nice big green plantain dumplings stuffed with shrimp) from my friend Anna's kitchen, ceviche de pulpa from Claudia's kitchen, and for dessert I think the maracuya mousse as made by Chef Portillo of Taberna Gitana in Quito.

Hey, if the world doesn't end, I want a giant fruit salad from my own fridge on the morning of the 22nd, with a heaping mound of my own granola and yogurt.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

The REAL question, is what are you going to eat the morning of the 22nd? Now that the world has NOT ended, what's your first meal going to be? ;)

Brunch buffet. I'll drive right past all them there folks who can't believe they're still. The crowds should be light since everyone will be stuffed from the night before.

I had planned to have an End of the World party, but didn't get my act together in time. I'd go with a very good fondue dip or spinach, cream cheese and artichoke dip with lots of excellent Parmesan.

Edited by FoodMuse (log)

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Spiny lobster with coconut rice & peas (jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk with split peas precooked in the milk and then all cooked together with a hint of saffron), corn on the cob (yellow!) and coleslaw that includes apples and cucumbers. Sparkling wine would be the lubricant.

I wonder if the leader of that group has any good recipes for crow for when he has to face his group on sunday morning. :raz:

Since there's a good chance if the rapture happens saturday night I'm going to still be here toiling through the plagues and pestilences, I guess I better eat pasta to fuel up for my sunday a.m. bike ride. If it's going to be my last meal though, I'd probably go with a huge crawfish boil with a big pot of shrimp etouffee on the side and plenty of beer.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

As many donuts and potato chips 'n' dip as I want.

Plus guacamole with beans and rice, a huge bowl of raspberries, and then as much ice cream as I could eat. Then if someone could make my mom's lemon meringue pie and wild blackberry pie, and Aunt Lana's rhubarb pie...

Somewhere I've gotta slip in the pate and wine. And an assortment of cheeses. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Home grown maters with salt and pepper. Real grilled juicy hamburger with blue cheese. And a huge pile of fresh boiled artichokes. Some cold cracked dungeness crab, and some baby steamed clams with melted butter and some cool white wine...

Think I'd be too bottom heavy to float up into the air.

So what would you eat if the world were ending tomorrow?

The world is not ending tomorrow. Camping has said the world won't end until August. Saturday is the Rapture. Which means, for the rest of us, raiding the fridges of the Raptured! Hmm, on second thought, probably all they'll leave behind is three-bean casserole and Spam.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I wonder if the leader of that group has any good recipes for crow for when he has to face his group on sunday morning. :raz:

The way I understand it is the poor souls left behind on Sunday will be living in "Hell on Earth."

That's when I'll be diving into the devil's food cake :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Well there are several theories on this... I have been driving by a may 21 - Judgement day, billboard for months and it has caused much amusement as may 21 is my birthday.

So my first thought was to live it up but the group has "clarified" that it is judgement day only for the righteous. The unrighteous (me) will still be here on the 22nd to suffer out end of days.

So either way righteous or end of days I think we should eat whatever we want tomorrow!!

For the record I would want fried pork chops, poutine, shrimp boil, babyback ribs, mashed Taters, fried okra and a bowl of spicy pad Thai with yellow cake chocolate icing to top it all off!!

How gluttonous right? Told you I was one of the unrighteous. :)

Pasta. Good bread. Chicken and dumplings. Corn on the cob. Ice cream. Oreos. Baked potatoes. Risotto.

Can you tell that I have been low-carbing for months?

(Princess--my birthday is the 22. I am going to celebrate both days, just to cover my bases. Happy birthday!)

Edited by sparrowgrass (log)
sparrowgrass

Steamed littleneck clams with butter, and fresh-baked blueberry pie, by the ocean.

My family spent summer vacations in a cottage on Cape Cod. Years later, when we were adults, my brother and I compared our list of favorite foods and came up with many of the same foods--the things we ate as kids at Cape Cod.

I'm glad the world's end is postponed to August. Blueberries won't be in season til then.

Home fries, tater tots, scalloped potatoes, au gratin potatoes, potatoes O'Brien, hash browns, onion rings, hush puppies, mac 'n cheese, fried chicken livers, fried oysters, oh and really good warm bread with butter. Condiments of malt vinegar, ketchup and tartar sauce. And a FULL SUGAR Dr. Pepper.

Sigh. I've been on a diet for almost a year.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.