• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piloncillo

BadRabbit

I bought a bunch of piloncillo recently to make a couple of Bayless recipes and really like the stuff and don't see any reason why I should limit its use to just my Mexican dishes.

Has anybody else found interesting uses for this sugar?

ETA: I have already decided to use it in a Phan recipe that I usually make with Muscovado. I'll let you know how that turns out as a substitute.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

Make a syrup with it and use it in cocktails. My favorite is an old-fashioned variation:

1.5 oz rum (I like Barbancourt 3 or 5 star here)

1 dash Angostura

1 teaspoon piloncillo syrup

Combine all with ice in a rocks glass and give it a good stir. The amounts can be varied to taste.

Other uses:

Sweeten coffee with it

Use in place of dark brown sugar in any baking recipe

I've ground it up and used it with a little maple syrup in the cure for my bacon.

I've also dissolved small pieces in my coffee.

It's great stuff, I love it.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I have been using it as the sugar in the classic Vietnamese dipping sauce Nuoc Mam Cham and as the sweetener in SE Asian dishes that call for palm sugar. It has a wonderful complex almost smoky taste. In the past I used the cones one gets at Mexican markets, but I splurged and got some from Rancho Gordo. Lovely stuff. Here are 2 links- one to a post by RG about the process, and one to the website

http://egullet.org/p1799487

http://egullet.org/p1799671

I use Piloncillo or Panela in all applications calling for sugar. It's just better.

I use it for most applications calling for sugar, but not all.

I do, however, reach for the piloncillo every time the recipe says "brown sugar."

We love it.

In fact, I'm having a little right now, sprinkled over grapefruit.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I only grudgingly use the white death in recipes where Piloncillo or Panela would cause an undue colouration. Other than that, unprocessed sugars all the way! The flavour is just better.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I decided to use Piloncillo in today's Butterscotch Ice Cream, but found in my NJ care package of 'Mexican' ingredients, some Organic Canamelao, 100% dehydrated cane juice. Opened the package and chunked off a small piece and ...went to sugar heaven. Never tasted sugar like that before. Now this is SUGAR as it was intended to be.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.