• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bagels/Bialys in Ft. Lauderdale Area

I note with dismay the decline of the once seminal bialy at Kossar's in my last blog post. As a matter of fact, I am sure I found a better bialy at Flakowitz's in Boynton Beach. For instance, take a look at the bialy from Kossar's...

IMG_1625_1.JPG

And then this one from Flakowitz...

Bialy w. Lots of Onions_1_1.JPG

No comparison, in my opinion. The Flakowitz bialy is the one I'd choose 99 times out of 100.

But I'm looking for a bialy (and a bagel, too) further south. That is, Ft. Lauderdale and environs.

So, what's the best place to get a bialy and a bagel (and maybe a schmear) in the Ft. Lauderdale area?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Unfortunately, it's not like it used to be. All the places I grew up with are gone and have been replaced by the chains that sell the goyisha Asiago Cheese bagels.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but there is a very good bagel place in north Miami on Biscayne Blvd. I don't remember the name, but it is very close to the Jockey Club http://www.thejockeyclubmiami.com/ where we used to visit. The bagel place is about a quarter mile south of the Jockey Club on the west side of Biscayne blvd. Jockey Club is at 11111 Biscayne Blvd.

I would recommend Bagel Snack, in the shopping center on Powerline Rd. and Gateway Dr. in Pompano Beach. I have eaten there and ordered takeout and delivery from them many times, but not in the past year, as I do not work in the area any longer. The food was always excellent, but the delivery time was long. In house, the service is good, and the restaurant area is fairly large. The shop is tucked into a corner, and is a bit hard to find from the street. Bialeys, though are meh. There was also a place in Delay Beach called Brooklyn Bagels, where they treat the water to duplicate the New York water quality. A bit of a haul from Ft. Lauderdale, though.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"