• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curious about Tupperware

Fat Guy

I've gone my whole life without really understanding Tupperware. Like many people I've used the term "tupperware" generically on occasion to refer to plastic containers. But I've never been to a Tupperware party or anything like that. Is there such a thing as a Tupperware party? What happens at one? How do I get invited to one? Is Tupperware any better than the equivalent product from Rubbermaid or some other major brand?

Seeking a Tupperware primer.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tupperware was famous for its patented seal and was only sold at in home parties in the 50s, 60s, and part of the 70s. The parties started to die out as people became wary of having strangers in their homes and plus the fact that the seal patent expired.

When that happened anyone could make the seal and Rubbermaid was one of them. As competition expanded Tupperware became available in stores and on line, thus there was no need for in home parties. They may still exist, but I'm not sure.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

I believe the author Dan Brown is delving into the rituals of the Tupperware cult in his next thriller, "The Mystical Burp."

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

In the '70s and early '80s one of my neighbors was a Tupperware regional distributor who hosted "parties" for Tupperware sellers. One of the reasons that I have so much Tupperware is from catering many of her parties and besides being paid, was given promotional items as well as regular Tupperware.

The only thinks I have ever purchased were replacement lids that cracked over time, with very heavy used and one too many stints in the dishwasher.

It has held up extremely well over the years and much of it has certainly been well used.

There are other manufacturers but I have yet to find one that has the longevity of the Tupperware.

It is available online as well as "vintage" pieces on eBay and other auction or direct sale sites.

There are a few items that have not been duplicated by other makers.

The pickle containers, for instance, also the long "celery keeper" with the lift-out rack and a few of the specialty pieces that were "premiums" given only to distributors.

And there already was a TV "movie" about it.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Although Tupperware parties were typicly female only events, I did one time many years ago attend one. I bought a set of tumblers that served in good stead for many years for outdoor activites. As I recall there were games and prizes and stuff.

Perhaps Mr. Shaw could become a representative of Tupperware and sell stuff to benefit the society.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

I still find great Tupperware pieces at garage sales and as others have said they hold up remarkably well over the years. The pickle container is one of my favourites and between me and my daughter we have quite a number.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Easiest way to go to a tupperware party is to host one.

Tupperware was the first of its kind, so it has the name recognition.

Its durable.

Our sugar lives in a piece of tupperware my mother bought in the 60s. She kept sugar in it til she became diabetic and I, um, relieved her of the need to store it.

Some of the newer pieces have stupid 'innovations' like asymmetrical lids. These are annoying on a round container, like the otherwise fabulous spaghetti keeper.

The big rectangular stuff is awesome, and much nicer than anything I found in competing brands. Straighter sides, useful dimensions.

The really little stuff not so much - the lids are too hard for little hands. Cheaper brands work better in lunch boxes. Plus, I cry less if the stuff accidentally gets thrown out. :wink:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.