• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite multipurpose dry rub?

jrshaul

I was at a friend's barbecue last night. In an attempt to de-blandify the chicken thighs, I tried to whip together a dry rub, but was horrified to find he had nothing in his cabinet but a few Mrs. Dash products. I managed to make a surprisingly palatable combination of black pepper, onion powder, and a mixture of salt, garlic, cumin, and ancho chili poweder called "Cajun Seasoning", and dumped the leftover from the chicken in with the burgers (which came out very nicely.)

Anyhow, I figure I'm much better off mixing up my own multipurpose dry-rub than buying it from the store. Something similar to the aforementioned mix (salt, pepper, chili, garlic, oregano/sage/whatnot) seems like it'd be handy to have for when I just want to throw a lump of meat under the broiler.

Cajun Spice Rub:

INGREDIENTS:

- 2 tablespoons oregano

- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns

- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns

- 1 tablespoon thyme

- 1 tablespoon crushed chillis

- 1/2 cup paprika

- 4 teaspoons salt

- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

METHOD:

Blend oregano, peppercorns, thyme and crushed chillis to powder using spice grinder or coffee grinder. Mix in paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. Makes enough spice to do several meals.

I don't have a recipe, but Memphis Championship BBQ in Vegas sells their 'Magic Dust' that I've used for years, it's my go-to dry rub for all kinds of meat & veggies.

http://memphis-bbq.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=qjt3soa2kha3edbmdug2co2265

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I don't have a recipe, but Memphis Championship BBQ in Vegas sells their 'Magic Dust' that I've used for years, it's my go-to dry rub for all kinds of meat & veggies.

http://memphis-bbq.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=qjt3soa2kha3edbmdug2co2265

The recipe can be found in the cookbook, "Peace, Love, and Barbecue" by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe

Here is a link to it.

I don't make my own, but I love all of the Dizzy Pig rubs. All kinds of different ones, from sweet to spicy, haven't found one yet that I don't like. Which is why I don't make my own. I sure have enough spices to do so, but these are really good so I don't bother.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Mine is easy:

1/4 cup black pepper (I usually cut this in 1/2)

1/4 cup red pepper

1/4 cup kosher salt

1 tbsp thyme

1 tbsp oregano

1 tsp caynne pepper

That's it. I originally made it for pulled pork I did in the oven (pork shoulder + that rub + foil + ~7 hours @ 325). Even done in an oven I've had several people say that's the best pulled pork they've ever had.

I also have used it on ribeyes (many friends say I've ruined steak for them with this), pork chops and other things. I always have some of it ready to go in my pantry.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a college student, and the savings offered by the DIY route are significant. I'd quite like to try the recipe with the sugar - I don't know how it will work, but it's hard to argue with commercial success.

Anyhow, I figure I'm much better off mixing up my own multipurpose dry-rub than buying it from the store.

If the store bough is fresh, there is a small advantage. Because many spices are fairly costly, if one buys one's own supply, spices that are not much used will go stale before being used up, unless they are vacuum packed and refrigerated.

But I always have on hand what I consider to be fundamental ingredients. In descending order, sugar, sweet paprika, black pepper, salt, onion powder, mustard powder, garlic powder, various chili powders, and cayenne. Of these, the first four are in the majority of all the recipes I have read.

We use a lot of Tony's, but there is a latin spice mix that I use on pulled pork That is Here . It has sugar, use turbando (sp) if grilling.

Smoked paprika is something you should seriously play with, When I'm doing scratch...ALMOST all the time, it's for some sort of bbq.. The smoked paprica, used judiciously (please forgive my spelling, i pad does not have a spell check) is a wonderful thing. Just be careful with it at first, like a lot of things, there are places it presents too much of a smokey flavor, like potato salad.

The trick I think is to pan roast your spices first, it really will open up the flavors for you. If you use a sugar, do not add until you've roasted the spices, but put them into a blender together in the end.

At this point it's just adding what you like!

I try to keep this rub on hand... it's a sweet one. Great on ribs, chicken thighs, pork tenderloin...

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup Hungarian or smoked paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup granulated garlic

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger

I don't have a recipe, but simply mix hot paprika, crushed black pepper, salt, brown sugar, and some crushed celery seed (this is key). I dry the ribs/chicken well with paper towel, then rub in several cloves of crushed fresh garlic. The wet/pasty garlic helps make the rub stick.

We like the Paul Prudhomme Magic Seasonings. I like the vegetable magic on any vegetable, and on most meats. The Salmon Magic is off the chart on salmon or any meat. Blackened steak and blackened redfish magic are also great, but require blackening to be at their best. Finally, the pork and veal magic is very good. If I had to pick one, it would be vegetable magic. Salmon magic is a very close second and is just perfect on salmon.