• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi

Ive tried making Korean Ox Bone Soup 2 times, this time its not white either.

What am I doing wrong?

I soaked them in water 2 hours today, theyve been boiling now for 7 hours.

Do you think my aluminum pot is doing it? Or hard water?

Its just barely cloudy-ish....

Help me please.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I believe to make the soup milky white you have to dump out the soup after the first boiling, THEN you add water and re boil.

It's also not uncommon to boil this soup for 24 hours. Its great, so you should make a ton. It's good not only with rice, but also as a base for mandoo guk and kalgooksu

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

It does look milky white, but you should also try the method I suggested. I looked around online and it seems that it's the best method for making clear stock. You can also use other cuts of beef and bone for making the broth. My mother uses cow knee bones sometimes and it makes for a nice gelatinous stock because of all the marrow.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Good job, it is milky white. You should be proud of yourself. :) How did it taste?

Geena, is right it is easier to make the soup whiter when using shank bone (the long bones of the legs). In a lot of Korean restaurants in Korea they use, and reuse bones. You don't have to do that as my mom doesn't but here is the steps my takes to make Ox bone soup. My mom just soaks the bones for an hour in cold water in the refrigerator, then drain and pour boiling water over the bones and rinse. Then she boils it in fresh clean water for 10 minutes, dumps that out cleans the pot and with fresh clean water simmers it for hours. Before she goes to bed, she places the pot into the refrigerator over night. Next morning she skims the fat, and then boils again. Then we eat it usually for lunch or dinner depending on weather she thinks it is ready.

I think I need to make some, but I need to eat what I have in my pantry for now.

Edited for extraneous words and clarification.

Edited by milgwimper (log)

• 1 month later...