• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotham Bar and Grill 2011 - 6th Review; 5th 3 - Star

weinoo

I don't know if there is another restaurant which has been reviewed four times by the Times, but today's review of Gotham is its fourth 3-star review during the restaurant's lifetime.

I've only eaten at Gotham a few times over the years, always enjoying it. Portale seems to keep it fresh, yet the standard bearers remain, keeping customers both old and new happy.

I like this line from the review:

The bacon had heft and smoke and fatty crunch, and would not have been out of place at a pop-up restaurant in some corner of Bushwick, Brooklyn, served by a bearish kitchen poet with a rutabaga tattoo on his forearm.

Anyone been lately, or perhaps planning on going based on the re-review?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A quick scan of my database shows that over the years many restaurants have received 4 or more reviews with at leat 3-stars. Several have received 4 star ratings 3 or more times. This was actually the 5th 3-star reveiw of gotham

I also want to add, that according to Diner's Journal today...

Gotham Bar and Grill has been reviewed four times by The New York Times. Bryan Miller wrote about the restaurant in 1985, a year after it opened. Molly O’Neill returned in 1993. Ruth Reichl visited in 1996.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This is the 6th review of Gotham, the first was by Marian Burros on 6/1/84 gave it a fair rating, the next 5 were all 3-stars Bryan Miller on 10/4/85 and 9/29/89, Molly O'Neil on 8/27/93, Ruth Reichel on 2/23/96 and now Sifton