• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Dinnerware" terminology

Fat Guy

Williams-Sonoma and many others are calling "dinnerware" what we used to call "dishes." How do we feel about this? Is "dinnerware" the right word?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"Dinnerware" has been widely used in advertising since at least the thirties by Fiesta and many other dishware manufacturers and department stores. I wouldn't single it out as a Wm-Sonoma deal.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I've always called it "china" as did my family.

Some was actually "china" some was ironstone, some "vitreous china" and some was pottery.

I read a lot of novels - mysteries from the "Golden Age of Mysteries" and from all the intervening decades up to the present.

The plot settings are often describing the surroundings and there are many mentions of "a Welsh dresser filled with china" or "an extensive display of china in a glass-fronted cupboard" or

"the table was set with a dizzying array of beautiful china" etc., etc., etc.

There are very few mentions of a display of "dinnerware" because that term simply doesn't contribute the same essence to the story.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

They be "plates" and "bowls" and "saucers" and "cups" and "dishes" in my house.

Dinnerware my big, old, bouncy, fat @ss.

By that standard, I guess the dogs eat from "petware"........

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Actually, wouldn't you eat the dogs off of petware? :laugh:

In that vein my 11 mo would be eating off of "anytime he comes across something interesting on the floor-ware" which seems needlessly cumbersome. So let's just go with dishes, shall we? Okay then.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Guess I'm just used to seeing them called dinnerware at stores but referring to them as plates, dishes or china at home. Am I upselling my flatware at home? They may be plain old stainless but I generally refer to them as silverware.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Deb and I were in WS a year or so ago and a British chap came in and when sked if he could be helped, he replied "I'm looking for some pots and pans for my new flat." The response he got was "If you want pots and pans, go to Walmart. We sell cookware."

HC

Deb and I were in WS a year or so ago and a British chap came in and when sked if he could be helped, he replied "I'm looking for some pots and pans for my new flat." The response he got was "If you want pots and pans, go to Walmart. We sell cookware."

HC

Exactly what I was talking about upthread. LOL

Guess I'm just used to seeing them called dinnerware at stores but referring to them as plates, dishes or china at home. Am I upselling my flatware at home? They may be plain old stainless but I generally refer to them as silverware.

Cutlery in our home.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

They're dishes. You can call them by their material, though: china, porcelain, stoneware, earthenware, etc.

That is my experience. I do have the experience Andie did earlier in the topic that the word "china" covered all the dishes - though for us it was not the everyday but rather the special occasion stuff - those were just the plates, etc