• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2011 Copper River Salmon Season

jsmeeker

Last yr.. they wanted North of 40 @ our fish local fish store in Omaha. I'm not sure I ever checked Whole Foods last yr. I did order from farm 2 market last yr, for I think about 30.

Its good to have Morels

The season is on, and a bit early this year. I've just arrived back home with 2 pounds of beautiful Copper River Sockeye Salmon. And for the incredibly good price of $17.99 per pound, caught yesterday off the river and shipped directly to my go to Salmon guy in Spokane. No middleman, no fish brokers or seafood wholesale suppliers--from fisherman to market. Last year I was paying upwards of $35.00 per pound.

From what I've gathered in talking to the folks at Alaska Airlines Cargo Department its going to be a good season this year. Two days ago the season's first shipment on an Alaska cargo jet from Cordova landed in Seattle with 24,300 pounds of Salmon. The second flight of the day was held another 33,000 pounds of Copper River Salmon destined for Seattle restaurants, markets and points beyond.

I'll be preparing some Copper River dishes this weekend.

Where is it 14.99 in Seattle?

At Central Mkt at 155 and 99.

Saw a sign for 9.99 at Queen Anne Metro Mkt today. 19.99 at Wild Salmon Fish Market on QA.

Note: These that I have seen, are really small fillets, I'm guessing like 2# minus per slab.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

I was off a dollar in price, my Copper River Sockeye was 18.99 a pound and I bought a side that was just over 2 pounds.

I seasoned the Salmon with Paul Prudhomme's basic Cajun spice mix, then saute in a cast iron pan with olive oil and butter. Two minutes per side, then turn it into a 450 oven for 5 minutes. The sauce is an asparagus veloute based on a recipe from "The Complete Robuchon." Simple and easy and Robuchon instructs you on how to extract the maximum asparagus flavor. The salad is shaved asparagus, julienned carrot, toasted hazelnuts, hazelnut oil and apple cider vinegar. The chips are waffle cut baby Yukon Golds.

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

If you only eat Salmon once a year, this is the Salmon to have.

That looks fantastic, David! Nicely done.

About how large of a piece did you cut off from the filet?

It was probably about 6oz. or so, although I didn't weigh it. Anything more than that with Copper River seems overkill for one serving.

Our Copper River arrived yesterday.. still the same ole 40 bucks in Omaha!!

I prepared mine on Cedar Plank:

Ready to go grill

5741423206_ebce67d288.jpg

Lemons-Salmon- Evoo, Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper, Bali Sea salt, Dill grill about 20 mins

5741421780_e2b5c4914f.jpg

Served with my chicken fat Crisp Potatos and corn!!

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Wegmans in Buffalo has it for $24.99/lb - I have never had it but it was so beautiful in the case that I picked up a small filet (1/3 lb.) this morning to give it a try. I'll probably just cook it in a saute pan and have it over a bed of greens with a little olive oil and lemon.

Patty

Am I the only person that isn't a big fan of the cedar plank preperation? Seems to be very, very popular. To me, it seems like I'm gnawing on a pencil.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

CR Sockeye for 24.99 and king for 31.99 @ west Seattle Thriftway. That store is convenient for me but does tend to be more expensive, I'll have to make a point to go to met market instead next time.

jsmeker,

( Ceder Planking ) I didn't notice the pencil characteristics you mentioned.. and I do remember the days of gnawing on a pencil :shock: ? But, this way doesn't create a nice crispy salmon skin.

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Columbus Ohio:

Costo says: "Don't have it, don't know"

Meijer says: "We'll have it Memorial day, ~20.00/lb."

Whole Foods: Has it how of course, 21.99/lb.

The Anderson's: Doubts they will be getting the Copper River Run, Doesn't expect wild salmon until June.

I think I'd rather give my money to Meijer to than Whole Foods, as Meijer is local and I believe they are a Union Shop.

The price is now down to $17.99 a pound in Eastern, WA. It sounds like it's a good season with plenty of fish, albeit they are running smaller than I've seen in the past. Most of the Copper River Sockeye in our markets are in the under 6lb. range.

Tonight, Copper River Salmon with Morel Custard and Fava Beans-

004 (3).JPG

I sauteed the salmon in butter and olive oil and seasoned with just a dash of salt and pepper. We finally have fresh morels in our market, $35 per pound. I made a custard with diced morels, (and a whole morel in the center), and then sauteed some morels and fresh fava beans.

• Like 1

21.99 a pound in Whole Foods in Norther VA, super fresh and delicious. Of course you can't leave Whole Foods with just a piece of salmon so the total cost of acquisition will be much higher...