• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cork - Dublin Restaurant Stop

Hey Guys,

Going Dublin next month for the taste of dublin festival, and one day I am going to be dragged to cork.... (Because it needs to be seen).

Can anyone suggest somewhere nice to stop off on the way back to Dublin? somewhere mid drive would be perfect.

Any good gastro pubs at all?

Thanks so much in advance!

Up until a week or two ago I'd have suggested The Brown Bear gastropub near Naas, but I heard recently that the chef has left for somewhere else. It still might be worth it, but I can't say for sure.

If you're hungry earlier on your journey and you're inclined to leave the motorway you could consider Cafe Hans in Cashel. I've eaten there once and was somewhat underwhelmed, but some people speak highly of it. Personally, I'd keep driving.

Not much help, am I? :laugh:

Yep... just in case you think the rest of us are not replying... Simon has pretty much summed up the culinary options. The road to Cork is much better than it used to be, so a break not really necessary. Hope you enjoy Taste of Dublin, if the weather is good, it is great fun. Iveagh Gardens is a lovely venue.