• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The butter-dish topic

Yes to the Rubbermaid butter dishes. I have two so that when one is in the dishwasher I have a place to put the butter. I started using these as I like to have my butter at room temperature most of the time.

Cats being the critters that they are can consume a whole cube/stick of butter in one sitting. The butter eating cat is long gone but I still use the seal-able dishes. If I want to be fancy I will pull out the china butter dish that matches the dinnerware.

• 3 weeks later...

When they have it in stock this is the butter I buy. The shape and size (which can vary a bit) are not easy to find a dish for. Tape measure shown for reference.

P1030212.JPG

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We used to leave the stick in its wrapper out on the counter. We saw kitty tongue marks on the top of the stick once too many times. Now, we have a glass cheapo covered butter dish for the one stick that stays out of the fridge and spreadable.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I here you on the size constraints of the average butter dish. I keep a few different kinds of butter stacked under a cheese saver (you know the ones with glass dome). Has worked pretty well.

Whether served on a spoon, stacked in a stiletto, or sipped in a stem glass pleasure in life is all about taste.

The Supper Model

www.thesuppermodel.com

When they have it in stock this is the butter I buy. The shape and size (which can vary a bit) are not easy to find a dish for. Tape measure shown for reference.

P1030212.JPG

Why not cut the butter into a more convenient shape and store the various parts as wanted?

When we lived in the Pac NW the butter always stayed in a covered butter dish on the counter, but when I moved to the East Coast without central air I learned that butter can go rancid as well as melt at "room temperature".

So far, in Ontario, I've only found butter in huge blocks. But since we stopped eating most carbs, our butter consumption has gone way down as well. Sadly. So the huge blocks of butter stay tightly wrapped in the fridge "dairy" section.

Why not cut the butter into a more convenient shape and store the various parts as wanted?

I guess I see that as a backup plan, if no suitable and inexpensive container can be found. I'd rather not have to add the subdividing of the butter to my list of grocery-unpacking tasks, unless I have to.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A Butter boat might be your best solution.

I know it says it holds one stick of butter but that is with lots of free room around it.

I allow a 1/2 pound slab (Kerrygold or homemade) to soften just enough to mash it into the butter boat and it fits nicely.

If I am going to be serving outdoors and the weather is fairly warm, I fill the bottom with crushed ice to keep the butter at optimal serving consistency. There is a convenient line inside the outer container to indicate the proper water level.

They are also available at Amazon and there are a bunch on ebay for various prices.

When first introduced they were more expensive ($30.00 or so) but have since come down to a more reasonable price.

Since I haven't made butter this week I retrieved a slab of Kerrygold from the freezer and here is a butter boat holding the entire 8 ounces.

HPIM4203.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm going to suggest that you not store your butter this way, as I do.

IMG_0289.JPG

I guess I see that as a backup plan, if no suitable and inexpensive container can be found. I'd rather not have to add the subdividing of the butter to my list of grocery-unpacking tasks, unless I have to.

I'm confused; surely a brick of butter that appears to be 4×3×2 inches or thereabouts (longest dimension is 4", anyway), should fit into a 5.5×4×≅3 inch dish..?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Yes but I'm not likely to pay $36.27 for a butter dish.

That much I'd spend but I'm not sure if that unit has the height, and it only specifies two of the dimensions on the product page.

Do the butter boat and other 'decanted' butter storage methods keep from picking up refrigerator odors or are they mainly for countertop use?

Also, this lock n lock butter keeper looks like it might fit your butter Fat Guy:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Storage-Store-LOCK-BUTTER-KEEPER/dp/B001H35O1E/ref=sr_1_40?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1307734710&sr=1-40

it pretty much just looks like a regular storage container turned upside down so maybe if you already have something similar... ?

now here's a fun butter keeper:

http://www.amazon.com/Gama-Go-LA0108-Buddah-Butter-Dish/dp/B0043QUXJ0

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

This glass Luminarc butter dish would certainly fit with lots of room to spare.

Would you consider something like this?

HPIM4204.JPG HPIM4205.JPG

HPIM4206.JPG

HPIM4208.JPG

It can be used either way, both base and dome are smoothly finished so there is no specific up or down.

I've got four or five - I use them for composed butters and for cream cheese mixed with various "flavors" etc. I bought mine at the local Kitchen Factory Outlet store.

There's one for sale in Brooklyn.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Upthread I mentioned that I use a glass bell on a plate for when I have company. It is a smaller version of a cheese bell. Surely you can find something out of the 6 pages of cheese bells herethat would work. Some of them are large, but there are some smaller ones, and some quite nice etched glass vintage ones. I personally would go for the one on p. 4 marked "Family brand" that comes with a cinnamon candle--all for $6.50.

That much I'd spend but I'm not sure if that unit has the height, and it only specifies two of the dimensions on the product page.

Well, I'm not going to beat this to death, but just eyeballing both the dish (length and breadth), and the block of butter they show sitting on it (on the Amazon page), that thing has got to be at least two inches tall; the manufacturer's (Norpro) website doesn't say, either, but I'm sure an email or phone call would yield some information.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'm fussy about the butter being smeared on the top of the dish, so I hate butter dishes in general.

I keep most of my butter double wrapped in the fridge or freezer and I cut off hunks for table use.

The hunks go into a thick glass bowl (relatively small, size of an orange) with a cover that has a large round knob. This also gets smeary, but there's not enough butter in there long enough to get gross since I wash it every couple of times I fill it.

I think these are usually sold as jam jars and you can get them for about four bucks at Surprise, Surprise, Bazaar or Fish's Eddy.

I settled on this solution after trying every butter dish known to mankind. I think it's all about the lid for me, I like the lid to be smaller than the dish and that's usually reversed in butter engineering.

What's special about Ben's butter? It looks good.

Edited by Lindacakes (log)

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Product Dimensions: 8 x 4.5 x 2 inches

Where are you getting those numbers? On the Norpro website I only see "Measures 7.5"/19cm long by 4"/10cm wide."

http://www.norpro.com/store/products/double-covered-butter-dish-ss

I've got an email in to Norpro but from looking at it I really don't think it will hold a big brick. It's designed to hold two standard sticks of butter side-by-side. I also imagine that the dimensions given may not necessarily be interior dimensions, whereas I'm most interested in knowing the actual size of what can be contained by the dish.

This glass Luminarc butter dish would certainly fit with lots of room to spare.

I actually think I may have a dish like that around somewhere -- maybe in one of the boxes I haven't unpacked yet. It never occurred to me that it might be a butter dish! That may be my solution, if I can dig it out.

I came across one of these today, while searching for something else.

Frankly, I had not realized it was a butter keeper. I got it as a freebie when I ordered several other Lock-n-Lock items and have never used it. It was inside another of the storage pieces and except for the sticker on the top (I thought it was the bottom) I would not have known what it was for.

I like the hard plastic Tupperware butter keepers but am not sure this one would work as I often use spreaders that have a sharp edge and I think the plastic would mar. That happened to a butter keeper I had that had a "measuring" ruler on the bottom plate. I tossed it because once cut, the cuts retained stuff that I did not want in my food.

In the kitchen I use that same luminarc dish and cover. Found it a TJ Maxx for $5. I love it. I tried using a butter bell before but the butter kept falling down into the water. I gave it to Goodwill.

On the table I use a footed cobalt lions head soup bowl with lid. It holds two sticks of butter.

Found it.

This thing is huge, and it is about one millimeter shy of being too small for the brick. But it just makes it.

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG