• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kobe Beef - Is it BANNED?

Is Kobe beef (the real stuff from Japan, not "Kobe" or Wagyu from USA, currently available in the United States or anywhere outside of Japan? Some Google work suggests some sort of temporary ban was put in place last year. But I can't tell for sure who put it in in. Did Japan halt/ban exports? or did the USA ban imports? Seems like it has something to do with foot an mouth disease. But I am having troubles getting more information.

Anyone know? Who has stronger Google-fu?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I can't back it up with solid facts, but last week in Las Vegas I had some Kobe tartare and was assured it was grade A-5 and imported from Japan. Of course, who knows if what you're told in Las Vegas is true.

That's what made me start the topic.

I KNOW for sure I have seen real stuff on menus in Las Vegas before. But now, I am NOT seeing it on menus. Looking at places like CUT and Craftsteak. I am wondering what is going on.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

That's what made me start the topic.

I KNOW for sure I have seen real stuff on menus in Las Vegas before. But now, I am NOT seeing it on menus. Looking at places like CUT and Craftsteak. I am wondering what is going on.

Interesting you mentioned that. We had some at CUT several years ago. But I took a look at the menu recently and it's not there anymore. Wonder what's going on.

This sheet dated April 7 from the USDA shows the importing of raw beef from Japan has been suspended due to "APHIS restrictions." Poking around the APHIS site suggests that this is due to recent outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease in Japan. This is unrelated to the BSE-related ban of a few years ago.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I found this article that mentions April of 2010 as the start of the new ban http://www.kobe-beef-store.com/blog/general/kobe-beef-banned-april-21-2010/

I really wish they could come up with some laws regarding labeling of beef in this country. If it's not from Hyogo it shouldn't say Kobe at all. I'm sick of seeing places selling kobe steaks or restaurants selling kobe burgers that are all just american wagyu. I would bet that most places that sell imported beef are just selling normal Japanese Wagyu and not actual Kobe also. I had the pleasure of eating the most amazing Kobe steak once when I was in Osaka and nothing I've eaten here has ever come close.

I really wish they could come up with some laws regarding labeling of beef in this country. If it's not from Hyogo it shouldn't say Kobe at all. I'm sick of seeing places selling kobe steaks or restaurants selling kobe burgers that are all just american wagyu.

American food producers really don't want country-of-origin labeling requirements, for various reasons, none of which are to the benefit of the consumer. As far as I am aware, I don't think Japan has anything equivalent to the protected designation of origins system that is common in Europe either.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I really wish they could come up with some laws regarding labeling of beef in this country. If it's not from Hyogo it shouldn't say Kobe at all. I'm sick of seeing places selling kobe steaks or restaurants selling kobe burgers that are all just american wagyu. I would bet that most places that sell imported beef are just selling normal Japanese Wagyu and not actual Kobe also. I had the pleasure of eating the most amazing Kobe steak once when I was in Osaka and nothing I've eaten here has ever come close.

What is even more ridiculous is that some restaurants claim they're serving Kobe (American) and you know they aren't. There is no way a Kobe burger would be dry when cooked to medium.

I've never been convinced American Kobe was such a great idea for burgers in the first place. Sure, it's fatty, but if the cattle is that big and not moving around it's also not developing flavor.

Maybe it's just the SRF stuff I've used. Its ground very fine, which doesn't help and the meat itself is pretty bland. I prefer aggressively beefy blends chuck cut with hanger and shank for example.

Edited by AAQuesada (log)