• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campout potluck

StanSherman

We do a club campout for Memorial Day weekend with a pyrotechnic club. I'd like to try something different for the main potluck dinner. I have plenty of time the day before (at home) and a hour or two the morning of, but prior to service it gets busy getting fireworks ready so plating has to be quick.

We have a small oven, three burners, crockpots and large cast iron dutch ovens.

Please give me some inspiration. Thanks!

Get a wok burner! Fits the occasion, cooking is fast once you have everything prepped. You might need more than one, sounds like a larger group.

Or roast a whole hog on fire? Or a piglet? Lamb? With a powered spit it could be a nice thing that just goes and goes all by itself.

Or a Hawiian Luau thing, roasting a pig in the ground for hours?

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Perhaps if we had an idea of your standards and what other people generally do we could suggest some items out of those boxes

These are friends that I really care about. Iowans would be happy with anything, but they do appreciate that extra care. Typically they make the same dish 2-4 times a month for Church and Little League.

We tend to cluster as teams. Your team is, typically, where you are on the 4th of July (local group). Then we belong to a regional club and then a national club. We design, build and display our own work so we need to trust each other with our lives. We grow into another Dysfunctional Family.

Memorial Day weekend is the debut for many of our new experimental shells. This is our last chance to make any adjustments before our big national competition in August.

In the past I've done pork with chimichurri, carnitas, chicken marabella, and special salads.

this sounds like so much fun, I'd probably get it catered so I can play with fireworks instead of cooking!

It's a real problem for me. I live on the outskirts of a town of 160. We'll prolly have 300-400 for the 4th. I'm not allowed to even look at the menu.

I'm on probation with the smoker. I kinda destroyed a Bradley digital by overloading too many briskets into it and the fat caught on fire.

The firecracker dishes will go better at the big party night in August when we start the evening off by lighting two strings of 4 million firecrackers each. It's a pretty big night that over 3000 pyros get to sit back and be entertained by their favorite display companies.

don't have anything to suggest but... how do we get an invite for the pyro display? it sounds awesome!!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shrimp spring rolls. Wrap 'em the day before, then chill them til served w peanut or tamarind or chili sauce.

So pretty, with the shrimp showing thru the translucent wrappers, and the long sprouts stickign out one end.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

For such a large crowd perhaps a variety of chilis or posoles. Cornbread for the former (do ahead as muffins maybe) and tortillas for the posole. Both dishes can be served with a number of add-ins to add crunch, color, texture and custom taste. The eGullet chili cook-off is here, and the posole cook-off is here Both dishes lend themselves to doing ahead of time and re-heating in the crock pots.