• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosengarten Report

crinoidgirl

Based on the free e-newsletters I used to receive, I wouldn't do it. YMMV, but for me there wasn't much useful information in them. Are they offering a sample copy of the paid version?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Was given a year's subscription of this report as a gift several years ago. Didn't care for them at all back then and only read a couple of them before giving up altogether. I always felt like the whole thing was full of too much hype, like listening to a used car salesman puffing up a deal. Made me want to keep my hand on my wallet and take a shower after reading it.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

I respect him tremendously, his show on food network was a revelation for me and really inspired me in my love of cooking. I remember thinking 'who is this pompous guy doing a show on salt for 30 minutes'. Well I learned a lot and his passion really came through. On top of that I still think his Dean and Deluca Cookbook is great, still holds up well today with great tips and recipes that work and full of flavor.

As for the newsletter, it really is mostly buying tips and promotions. The guy does have a great palate, but then so do I! Is it worth it? just depends if you want some primo Olive oil fresh from around the world and want a source for top quality ingredients. He's your man. If you are looking for Saveur: great articles and recipes look somewhere else.

In a word, no. Pity, too because once-upon-a-time I thought his opinions were ahead of the curve, cutting edge. Now it seems more like he is simply "shilling" for people with products.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher