• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don't tell anyone, but when I cook I use...

Chris Amirault

Otherwise: cayenne and nutmeg, in very small amounts - not enough to be detected - but they make a real difference in a lot of dishes.

Cayenne and msg here. Get the big bottle of Accent from Sams, it's so cheap. I, too sneak a sprinkle of cayenne into so many different things I've lost track. If you've never added a tiny bit to hot chocolate on a snowy afternoon you haven't lived!

I use Morton's Nature's Season's in just about anything that calls for salt and pepper. It's salt based and has garlic, pepper, celery and onion. No MSG, but it does have it's own underlying hint of umami.

And I'm out at the moment, but I've been known to toss Salad Supreme into sauces or on meats. I wasn't so sure why it was so good, since it's so unnaturally red, but in looking up the link, I see that Romano cheese is one of the main ingredients, which really makes a lot of sense. It has that cheesey bit of flavor. I use it as a not so subtle ingredient, too, in pasta salads and the like.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Remember, potato starch contains no potatoes. Its made from the roots of a type of violet.

No, there's potato starch, and then there's katakuri starch.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.