• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

hansjoakim

Dry cure for confit

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've made some batches of duck leg confit and pork belly confit following the recipes in "Charcuterie" by Ruhlman and Polcyn. I'm pretty new to confit in general, so I'm wondering about the dry cure that is usually applied to meat that is to be used for confit. Why do we do it?

It often involves significant amounts of salt, so I'm wondering if it's done for flavour, conservation purposes, or perhaps both? Would uncured, confited duck legs spoil quicker or simply taste less?

I think that "cured" is a key component of confit, as it is a preparation that historically existed to preserve the meat. I'm not sure, therefore, what a non-cured confit would be. Oil-poached?

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

far from an expert on duck confit, other than eating it, but i believe the salt and spice rub serves two purposes. first to draw moisture out of the meat, which is critical to preserving it. and secondly to add flavor. is that what you are asking?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Hi,

And thanks! I guess it's obvious that the dry cure both improves shelf life and impact flavour due to the moisture loss in the meat.

I had some duck confit at a local restaurant a few weeks ago, and even with my tolerance for salty foods, I found it be way too salty. I'm planning on serving some confit (perhaps pork belly) next time I'm having guests, and I think I'd like to err on the safe side and not over-salting the meat prior to cooking.

Edited by hansjoakim (log)

The cure is done in order to help with preservation. Really, introducing curing salt to the meat fully during this process is more important than removing moisture with the regular salt, at least if you plan to preserve it in the fat. This is done for the same reasons of botulism reduction as it is in smoked products. Once the meat is properly confited, moisture should be reduced to a level that it won't pose a problem. For my personal purposes, I usually do 2% kosher salt and .5% pink salt, plus various herbs and spices.

Duck confit is not meant to be cured'; nitrites and nitrate are not used in duck confit recipes. A properly mad confit should not be salty. Duck confit recipes call for rinsing off the seasonings prior to cooking.

Confit is dry brined for flavor and cooked in fat for preservation. Judy Rodgers famous roast chicken recipe at Zuni Cafe uses similar techniques to tenderize and flavor poultry. The techniques are now frequently used for roasting turkey and other meats.

An excellent way to boost flavor is to process the ingredients and dry-brine in a zip lock bag prior to cooking.

Tim

• Similar Content

• By yoboseyo
      Novice at meat-curer looking for advice. I'm making 2 pancettas this season.

The first one I used the over-salting technique. What I didn't expect was that the salt would all turn into brine in a day, and I expected that I could scrape away the excess salt at the end. Instead, I left it on the brine for too long, and the result was too salty. The meat firmed up in 2 days so I should've taken it out then.

For my second one, which is currently in the fridge, I used the equilibrium salting technique. I added about 100g salt for 3.5kg meat. The problem now is that it's not firming up seemingly at all! It has been 9 days in the fridge, and flipping it every day or 2. After 6 days, however, there was no pool of brine left. I put the meat in a folded over but unsealed bag. Did the brine evaporate or resoak into the meat?

Any advice on how to continue would be appreciated.
    • By davidcross
      I made some Lonza and cured it for 2 weeks.

In the drying chamber (70% humidity and 55F with gentle air flow) it's only been 4 days but it's already lost 30% of its pre-drying chamber weight. Normally that can take weeks.

Is that normal, and is the meat ready?

Thank you
    • By davidcross
      My first Guanciale is looking good. It smells clean, fresh, and is firming up nicely after about 3 weeks in the curing chamber at 65% humidity and 55F. First piece slices nicely and it seems great.

I've a question…

On the outside are some tiny white/straw-colored flecks (ignore darker flecks - this is some remaining Thyme from the cure).

They do not penetrate the skin and I am not sure whether it's mold or salt coming out or fat or what.

Thoughts? Likely safe?

Thank you

• By liuzhou
      I have received a wonderful gift from a lovely friend.

A whole home cured, dried pig face. I call her Cameron.

This will be used slowly over the winter. I'm dribbling thinking about the ears stir-fried with chilies Hunan style. The cheeks! The snout!  I'm ecstatic. 

Snout

I'm watching!

I'll follow up with with how I use it, but for the moment I'm just content watching her watching me as she hangs in the wind on my balcony. It's love!
    • By davidcross
      This is elk bresaola 3 weeks after hanging in the drying chamber, and losing weight as expected.

The growth on the outside seems mainly green on the outside of the netting.

Probably safe... or pitch it?

And if safe, wash or spray with anything? Strip the netting off, or...?

Thank you