• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitters as the base!

Since I tried the Trinidad Sour I have been very interested in this bitters-heavy class of drink. Three not previously mentioned here that I have in my files are:

The Aromatic Collins

1 Oz Angostura Bitters

1 Oz Lemon Juice

1 Oz Simple Syrup

Soda Water

Shake juice and syrup with ice. Strain into an ice filled collins glass. Float bitters on top. Top with soda water. Garnish with a lemon twist. Stir and enjoy.

I think this recipe comes from a Jeffrey Morganthaler video. But I am not sure. Pretty tasty though.

Bittah Walshie

2 Oz Plymouth Gin

0.75 Oz Angostura Bitters

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Orgeat

0.25 Oz Orange Liqueur

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

I know this one is courtesy of Cocktail Virgin Slut. A great way to really get the taste for Angostura.

Shadyside

1 Oz Tequila

1 Oz Angostura Bitters

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

0.75 Oz Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

Sprite

Dry shake egg white and lime juice. Add Tequila, Ice, Angostura, and Simple. Shake. Strain into a tall glass containing 2 Oz of Sprite. Top off with a dash more sprite. Garnish with three drops of Angosture Bitters.

Very fun and strange drink. A lot more going on here, as I remember.

A wonderful world, bitters heavy drinks.

Angostura is sold in 16oz bottles!

I'm glad the Stormy Mai Tai is being brought up again, I had to adapt it for my tastes.

1 oz Angostura

1/2 oz rum (light)

1 oz lime juice

3/4 oz orgeat

3/4 oz Curaçao

Dark rum float

Any other adaptations for this drink?

• 1 year later...

The Runaway which is a fancified version of the Trinidad Sour, with Batavia Arrack. Not sure who came up with it butI found it on Buzzfeed of all places... Not surprisingly, Rafa had already entered it into the Kindred database.

Angostura bitters, orgeat (walnut, homemade), batavia arrrack, rye (Bulleit), lemon juice, lemon twist. I think I like it more than the original. More complexicity thanks to the batavia arrack. It seemed more balanced overall.

14054933767_1cb5236b18_z.jpg

• Like 1

The Man Posts Another One. 

Adding this to the must try list, perhaps after my liver recovers from my marathon bender.

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

I checked the Angostura Cocktails app for iPhone for the attribution for that one, but no luck. There's a lot of good drinks in that without proper attribution. Most of them ended up on KC, somehow. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 2 months later...

Rafa's Tango 'til They're Sore with rye (Bulleit), Punt e Mes, Peychaud's bitters, maraschino liqueur (Luxardo), (blood) orange peel.

With 3/4 oz Peychaud's bitters, I was bracing myself for a bitter licorice kick. But instead it was only slightly bitter, the maraschino liqueur dominating the first few sips, and the Peychaud's hard to detect at first. The flavor is a bit hard to describe; it was a bit "minty" as mentioned in the notes on Kindred, with the anise from the Peychaud's getting obvious in the finish. It took a while to get accustomed to the unfamiliar taste and every sip was slightly different.

14586108609_35ba1e5eb5_z.jpg

Here's one from The NoMad Hotel, by Jessica Gonzalez:

Hair Trigger

3/4 oz Pampero rum

3/4 oz Fernet Branca

1/2 oz Angostura bitters (scant)

3/4 oz ginger syrup

3/4 oz lime juice

1 slice cucumber, shaken in tin

splash soda on top

Shake, strain over crushed ice in a double rocks glass or tiki mug, garnish with a mint sprig and a cucumber slice, serve with straws.

Bracing, refreshing, ginger-y, herbaceous, with surprisingly little bitterness, and a lot of color and aromatic potency from the Angostura-Fernet combo. 

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

If you're in a state where you really can't be fucked making ginger syrup, would a ginger liqueur like Canton be a workable sub?

Well, you might as well just f it all and use Stones ginger wine.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Not really. Canton's mellow and citrussy. Ginger syrup's got bite. Maybe add some hot pepper, or just punch yourself in the mouth before drinking for a similar effect.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 1 year later...

Here's a good one: the Haji Sling:

2⁄3 oz Angostura
2⁄3 oz Cherry Heering (Tattersall Sour Cherry)
2⁄3 oz Bénédictine
2⁄3 oz Lime juice
2 1⁄2 t Orgeat
2 1⁄2 t Rum (as float) (Appleton V/X)

Lime wheel and cherry garnish

My first sip, rum-heavy from the Appleton float, tasted distinctly and unexpectedly like a Bloody Mary. My diagnosis is that the savory/earthy aspects of the ingredients got a psychological boost from the color and opacity of the drink which could easily be mistaken for a tomato-juice-based cocktail. But the second and ensuing sips quickly picked up the more tropical flavors and found them delightful. I've always been struck by the cherry flavors of Angostura-heavy drinks (like the Trinidad Sour) so I was hopeful they would work well in the context of a Singapore Sling-type drink, and they did. 

IMG_2026.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Craig E said:

@Rafa's O Negative: rye, Angostura (1 oz!), simple, dash absinthe, orange twist.

Christmas in July!

That is my blood type, maybe I need to give it a try. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.