• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Post reports wine industry prospers due to ego not taste

Don Giovanni

A titan wine business is made off of the ego not the taste of Wine...rant...

below is the link...

Click On Me

Wine -- it's all in your head

60% of the time or more you can't tell an expensive bottle from an inexpensive one...

Many of us are fools for seeking expensive brands ? For all the wrong reasons...

I have been to tastings where I have tasted wines that cost an exorbitant amount of money...leaving out the regions and producers because I am not one to bash specifics today...

what I have learned from personal experience is that for fermented grape juice costing a few bucks in the bottle... people sure do have a bent value system when it comes to making a decision on purchasing wine...Understanding ego plays first...Understanding some people have more money than brains... Understanding people can vote with their money, because it's a freedom to do so...this makes markets and many rich ...

With the understanding that the new bottle chasers looking for trophy wines for status have no clue what the hell they are drinking is disturbing on many levels... the biggest...most really would not know a good bulk wine (very low dollars) from one that cost 1000 times that of the bulk wine...

this leave me to conclude that wine is a commodity, always has been...commodities run bubbles, manias all throughout history...so too has wine...thus the greater fool theory applies...yes we often act like fools... myself included... spending absurd amounts on wine when the pleasure is in the brand not the wine... the pleasure is in the status of pouring the brand ... not in the taste of the wine...

the real irony is the amount of money people make trading , selling the commodity wine... in this a titan business is made off of ego not taste... wine is liquid gold...we the victims...play the greater fool...due to ego...

rant over...