• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Allard?

Sam Iam

We are going to Paris later this month, on our way to B&B in southern France, and then on a wonderful Viking cruise up the Rhone.

The problem is a couple (out of four couples) is insisting that Allard is the end all-be all in Paris for dinner. It's our sixth trip to France, and it is at the very bottom of our list.

Does anyone have any recent stories, either good or bad to share? Good stories are fine. We just hate to waste a night with average food, cooked and served to Americans.

Thanks!!

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

I had a very nice lunch at Allard about 18 months ago, and a fine shoulder of lamb for dinner about 3 years ago. My impression both times was that the food was solid, conventional bistro fare, prepared well and attentively. I like it a lot. But this is Paris, it's virtues are not unique, and you might be seeking other virtues in your limited time.

IMHO, it's a solid bistro. I'd be very happy indeed to have it down my street.

Where else are you going?

A Viking cruise, eh? Sort of like this?

Kidding aside, I'm looking forward to hearing about this terrific-sounding trip.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Oh please please forget Allard unless you want to eat mediocre food with other tourists.

It has a great history but is long past its best.

Try instead l'ami jean, l'entredegeu, les papilles, etc, etc

• 1 month later...

I ate at Allard about a year ago. We ordered the Côte de Boeuf for 2, saignant (medium rare), and it came out completely well-done (à la semelle). Perhaps they figured because we weren't French, we wanted it overcooked. But it was very expensive and for those prices, they should make sure they cook the beef how the customer orders it. I would skip it.

Well, we're back from two wonderful weeks in France. Our friend that organized the trip (Three couples from Toledo) is gaga over Allard, so we did go there. The food was as described. Jack refuses to eat beef less than well done, so he was a happy camper.

Most of the menu selections require that two people order the same item.

We had two other people that joined us, and Allard only let us have 5 orders of veal stew for our table, even though other tables were ordering it. BTW, the room was 100% Americans.

We figured we'd go there to make Jack happy, and he was. :raz:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!