• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Candy Ever

weinoo

Y'all are weird. All that stuff is good, even when bad, except for really cheap chocolates that taste like stale floor sweepings.

The really bad candy is Dutch salted licorice. I shudder just thinking about it.

Guess it take all kinds... I can eat any licorice (meaning the real stuff, not the red things... licorice is a flavour, not a texture!) by the sackful, salted or otherwise (I was delighted to discover that there's a semi-continent-ful of salted licorice to explore, since it's big throughout northern Europe).

Now, milk chocolate with licorice embedded in it in a variety of ways is a new low I recently encountered: I keep giving it a go, but I just don't take to it. The aftertaste is just indescribable. It could only be worse if peanut butter were involved, too (so I'm guessing I'll be seeing that soon).

I love the black aussie licorice enrobed in milk chocolate - someone asked me the other day if I could dip some of those licorice pipes in chocolate for them. Not sure where to find those pipes anymore though - no penny candy stores around these days.

Not a big fan of the dutch salted stuff though. Wonder if it would taste better dipped in chocolate?

Someone gave me a box of Whitman's chocolates (I know). I remember thinking they were so awesome when I was a little kid because there was a legend inside the lid that told you what was in each little cubby so you didn't have to make dents in the bottoms to see what they were filled with. My mom really didn't like us to do that. Well, the legend is still there but someone has decided to substitute wax imitations of filled chocolates. Talk about a gag gift.

I still love those super cheap filled cherry cordials, though. My grandmother and I would eat them and watch the soap operas together.

• 1 month later...

PEEPS! Nastiest things ever created. Yuck!

I really don't care for anything with marshmallows Nothing but sweet sponges. Even when camping I eat only one slowly toasted over the campfire. If it gets burnt I pass it on.

Anything with fake banana flavor isn't even allowed in the house. I can't even stand the smell.

That said I love the Cadbury eggs. Got my first four at the grocery recently. Last year I waited too long and the were all gone.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I just reread this thread and It's very funny. Amazing how polarizing the subject is. I really HATE a lot of candy out there. But that doesn't always stop me from nibbling on it. I'm not sure I ever actually ate a peep. They weren't a part of my childhood, I know that, and they just look so toxic. That said, you would have to pay me a substantial sum to eat raisinettes, which combine two things I loathe: raisins and milk chocolate. Plus they look like something a deer left behind. All Hershey products: just plastic. All white chocolate: just soap with sugar. Mounds and Almond Joy: for lunatics. Candy hearts: sidewalk chalk is cheaper, comes in more colors and has less sugar.  

The single strangest candy is licorice. The salted types are simply hunks of ammonium chloride, which is used as an expectorant, and also in the production of manure, and probably is the reason why roads in the east need to be resurfaced constantly. Some is waaay too sweet, but every so often I find some I really like, like scandinavian black ropes and tire treads. Sadly, my favorite licorice candy of all time seems to have become extinct: Lakrits Lentils: a dark chocolate m & m shape candy with a thin hard black licorice shell. The ones that came in the lovely little folding box were the best, and they disappeared years ago. The bulk ones, not as good, you had to buy in 5lb bags, which was really a major headache. Now those are unavailable as well, or were last time I checked. A 5lb bag is really a disaster for me, anyway.

Okay, so love this thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 1 year later...

I applauded and groaned at the punny title of this short article:

"Necco is back after being a wafer so long"

Necco Wafers are everyone’s favorite non-delicious candy, a fascination from a bygone era and one that an adoring public never, ever wants to surrender. And now, there is newfound hope that we’ll never have to: After a two-year absence from the shelves, Necco Wafers will soon be back in stores!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

This makes me happy to hear.  A favorite candy in our house.  We bought a whole box of the rolls when the company was sold and haven't quite run out, but were getting nervous.  We have an occasional ritual of eating them one by one in bed at night watching TV.  Whoever pulls two wafers out offers the other person their choice of colors/flavors.  Our favorites are pink (wintergreen), white (cinnamon) and brown (chocolate).  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Wow, great information and the best title. I'm thrilled they are coming back, especially if the packaging is the the same. Chocolate was my favorite flavor, so I'm a little hesitant to applaud any changes. I don't see how they could be made any better, or any worse, for that matter. I thought they were perfect as they were.

• Like 2

The pastel hearts on many occasions have meaning. Rolaids are more tingly in a not quite Alka Seltzer way (no recent personal experience). Necco have an odd chalky taste  My ex liked them for some odd nostalgia reason. Child rebelled (always a wise lad) He became a Hi-Chew person after the StarBurst fad left the building Finding new flavors was a fun adventure.

https://www.hi-chew.com/story/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Necco wafers are at least as tasty as rolaids or those little pastel hearts that appear around Feb 14th

Bizarrely, I like all three.  My mom used to have to hide the Rolaids, baby asprin and Aspergum because she was afraid I was going to poison myself.  Another favorite is mentho lyptus Halls cough drops.  I'm a weirdo.  😁

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Bizarrely, I like all three.  My mom used to have to hide the Rolaids, baby asprin and Aspergum because she was afraid I was going to poison myself.  Another favorite is mentho lyptus Halls cough drops.  I'm a weirdo.  😁

I had a weak spot for aspergum myself

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I had a weak spot for aspergum myself

Ha don't get me started on cherry flavor cough lozenges like Sucrets. They got me through years of long commutes

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ha don't get me started on cherry flavor cough lozenges like Sucrets. They got me through years of long commutes

As a lad I was fond of those metal Sucrets boxes.  A tackle box that fit in my pocket.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

As a lad I was fond of those metal Sucrets boxes.  A tackle box that fit in my pocket.

Oh and at the German movie place these round tins of hard fruit candy. I could never bear to throw them out so they must be here. Oh that stuck top drawer in the study?   Fruit-shaped candies in those round tins. (With images) | My ...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I love Neccos, hate those hearts and have never had Rolaids. I did used to like aspergum, though. 

• Haha 1

The worst candy ever made are those terrible easter egg things.  I don't remember what they're called, but the centers are some kind of very stiff meringue like substance, and the outside is a thick layer of smooth, shiny insipid sugar.  They used to come in pastel colors, and they are just so vile.

3 hours ago, Miriravan said:

The worst candy ever made are those terrible easter egg things.  I don't remember what they're called, but the centers are some kind of very stiff meringue like substance, and the outside is a thick layer of smooth, shiny insipid sugar.  They used to come in pastel colors, and they are just so vile.

Yes!!!  They are called "Hiding Eggs" and they are truly hideous.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Not to be confused with Whoppers® Robin Eggs® (malted milk balls), which I enjoy.

51LRy-S+GIL.jpg

Confused! Is that not what those are The kids liked them, Better than stale jelly beans

Edited by heidih (log)

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:
22 hours ago, Miriravan said:

Yes!!!  They are called "Hiding Eggs" and they are truly hideous.  

Aww, now. I love them. But only the purple and green ones. The orange and yellow ones are tolerable. The blue, white and pink get tossed.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

Aww, now. I love them. But only the purple and green ones. The orange and yellow ones are tolerable. The blue, white and pink get tossed.

It's something about the outer texture that really gets me.  I am overly fond of marshmallow, so it's not that.