• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Candy Ever

weinoo

I'd like to stick up for orange and chocolate as a mixture, but only insofar as it extends to chocolate-covered candied orange peels....

Absolute worst candy ever? Down here we have something called Jaaz, which are at their base fairly agreeable fruit-flavoured drops. What ruins them is the addition of gross quantities of menthol.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Peeps.

*ducks for cover*

That would have been my second choice.

You are a braver man than I.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Hershey's chocolate is disgusting. One can argue it should not fall under the "candy" category, but it's really an insult to chocolate to call anything made by Hershey's "chocolate".

Great thread!

Its also not the oldest chocolate factory in the USA.

That distinction goes to the delicious and higher quality

Ashers Chocolate Factory in Souderton, Pa

Its 1 yr older.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

marzipan makes me gag.

WORD, dude !

But chocolate (especially dark chocolate) and orange is a magical combination. Seriously, folks, what's WRONG with you? It's high on my list of favorite combos. I've been known to add a splash of Gran Marnier to my chocolate mousse.

Other than marzipan, licorice jelly beans are pretty vile, and get systematically picked out of the candy dish. I also got some candy/chocolate coated sunflower seeds from Trader Joe's (think M&Ms only with sunflower seeds in the middle instead of bad chocolate) that I had one handfull of and tossed the rest in the trash. And yeah, those "circus peanuts" should be banned. But I can stomach most other stuff, and even crave it occasionally. In small doses, though. Even candy corn. One bag, once a year, and I'm done.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Pierogi?

The reason people eat chocolate is its decadence...Its fatty richness and sweetness together.

Somehow when you add ORANGE to it, your tongue can no longer perceive that rich fatty cocoa butter.

To me, it also makes the bitterness of the chocolate more ACRID

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

But GR, those of us who defend chocolate and orange are defining the chocolate as the dark stuff, which is by definition not so rich or sweet (since dark chocolate must be at least 60% cocoa solids and the best is generaly 75% or more) - it's then a marriage of two excellent, slightly bitter flavours, namely cacao and orange (peel, at least for me).

The reason I eat chocolate is precisely for the bitter, complex flavours available to me in dark chocolate - I won't touch anything under 60%. I find that the fattyness and sweetness of milk chocolates is off-putting, even when there are macadamia nuts in presence.....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Haribo Red Licorice Wheels. I no longer know if I am just getting old bags of the stuff or if they really are intentionally tough and flavorless but disappoinment every damn time.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I would have thought Passover candy would be nominated.

Which Passover candy? There's a lot of variety - though I am no fan of the candy fruit slices very popular, chocolate covered matzo or chocolate covered orange peel (though otherwise I love chocolate and orange), there's plenty of good stuff too.

Fry's Turkish Delight. It tastes like an old fashioned Glade solid air freshener covered in bad chocolate. Easily the most inedible substance on the planet. I agree with a lot of the above but they all pale in comparison to the vomit inducing Turkish.

• 1 month later...