• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Candy Ever

weinoo

Circus Peanuts... closely followed by anything else made with artificial banana flavoring.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tic Tacs are breath mints IMO not technically a "candy"...

Based on this list [click] , I'd say they're candy, and therefore would concur with Mitch :raz:

(Circus Peanuts make me wish eG had a :hurl: emoticon.)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I'd have to go for really cheap milk chocolate. Not the cheap, mass produced Cadbury kind ... but the stupidly cheap stuff made by companies you've never heard of. That. Criminal.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Anything sour and gummy, like sour patch kids. Make my mouth hurt for DAYS. And I have to argue with the tic tac hate...I could happily eat an entire box of orange tic tacs in one sitting. And I have. The only issue is that the noise clues the offspring in to the fact that I have some, and so then I have to share :hmmm:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

IIRC Carnuba wax is in the first half of the ingredients list.

Doctors Toothpicks are best for breath because its usually food that is breaking down that causes bad breath.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Candy corn. That stuff is just terrible.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Necco wafers. Especially those weird purple ones.

We used to pretend the white ones were communion wafers. :biggrin:

I remembered another terrible candy: Dots. Like jujubes, only more terrible.

Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. They are Great for a gag, just don't actually eat them...... :blink: Yes, I did. The "Rotten Egg" Will make you green!

http://www.mugglenet.com/info/other/beans.shtml

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Orange flavored chocolate

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Orange-flavoured chocolate and its evil side kick, mint-flavoured chocolate, are an abomination unto many gods and all right-thinking people alike.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

So much candy, so little time. And so many threads about it. But really, isn't most commercial candy pretty awful?

I've always had a soft spot for chocolate Necco wafers (the other flavors not so much); I can think of a lot of candy worse than that. And jujubes have their place: my dentist uses them to sproing out temporary crowns. Really!

I'm in the camp that says tic tacs are not candy. Candy should never claim to be anything but candy. Without thinking about it too much, Raisinets come to mind as a candy I wouldn't eat no matter how desperate. Horrid texture as well as incomprehensible flavors. I've never eaten a peep, but I am pretty sure they give Raisinets a run for the money.

I feel like I'm going to have to duck and run after I say this, but I find that most US versions of candy bars have become inedibly, one-dimensionally sweet, including several that I'm fairly certain are American originals (and I have a sweet tooth: I can eat honey or preserves straight from the jar). I can still enjoy Snickers and Mars Bars when I get them in the EU, but in the US... well, let's just say the last time I bought a couple in NYC, I threw both out after two bites from each (the second bite was to double-check that what I would have believed impossible was actually true); what happened?! These are definitely in the running for 'worst candy'.

However, THE worst candy I ever had was something Twizzlers put out (briefly) some years back, and which were those rubbery twists, but instead of being fake liquorice or cherry/strawberry flavours, were pastel coloured 'fruit' flavours, and filled with some odd, bizarrely plasticky-tasting gluey substance. They made me miserable.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

technically not a candy, more of a baked good, but the banana-flavored Moon Pie is completely vile. Waxy, tasteless coating, appallling faux banana flavor, chalky filling & crumbly cake/wafers. Bleh! In the candy category, salty licorice is BAD. Right up there with so many fruit-ish (melon, plum) flavored japanese jelly/gummy candies.