• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sun-Mon July 4th Weekend.

syoung68

So DW and I will be stopping in NYC on the way to London. We arrive July 3rd at 1:30 (JFK) and will be staying in SoHo. The current plan is to grab a late lunch, go back to the room and then head out early(ish) for a cocktail crawl that will start at PDT, then Death & Co, followed by Pegu and ending at Stanton Social for late night food. We have eaten a Blue Ribbon on a previous trip years ago and that would be another option for late night.

Anyone have any thoughts on a late lunch on a Sunday? I was thinking maybe go get Dim Sum at either Go Go or Red Egg.

Monday is up in the air. Our flight out is not until 10:30 PM. We would like to do an upscale lunch but would also like it to be semi casual (no jacket). I am thinking EMP or Corton. My big concern is will either be open on the 4th.

Then maybe pre-airport hit something else. The Breslin?

Any input is appreciated.

Any other suggestions for late night food? I figured we would have a bite at D&C along the way. And I am not really sure we will make it to Pegu so I am not sure how "late night" it will be. My guess is I am limited on Sunday nights.

So DW and I will be stopping in NYC on the way to London. We arrive July 3rd at 1:30 (JFK) and will be staying in SoHo. The current plan is to grab a late lunch, go back to the room and then head out early(ish) for a cocktail crawl that will start at PDT, then Death & Co, followed by Pegu and ending at Stanton Social for late night food. We have eaten a Blue Ribbon on a previous trip years ago and that would be another option for late night.

Anyone have any thoughts on a late lunch on a Sunday? I was thinking maybe go get Dim Sum at either Go Go or Red Egg.

Monday is up in the air. Our flight out is not until 10:30 PM. We would like to do an upscale lunch but would also like it to be semi casual (no jacket). I am thinking EMP or Corton. My big concern is will either be open on the 4th.

Then maybe pre-airport hit something else. The Breslin?

Any input is appreciated.

Sunday lunch: if your flight lands at 1:30pm at JFK, you might not get out and about and ready to eat until 3pm, barring flight delays, which seems a bit late to have dim sum IMO (though the places you listed cook to order vs using rolling carts). BTW, for a notch up in terms of dim sum quality and a more upscale atmosphere, there's also Chinatown Brasserie, which serves continuously all day.

Sunday evening: Grab a hot dog and some tater tots while you drink at PDT. Make sure you arrive right at 6pm for some bar seats. It's busy even on holiday Sundays. We were there Easter Sunday, and the place was packed.

By the time you leave for Death & Co, it will probably be about 7:30-8pm, so there might be a bit of a wait. If so, I would have a few backup plans: cocktails and a few bites at either Mayahuel or Vandaag.

Then hit up Momofuku Ssam Bar for a late-ish dinner, around 9:30 or so. Other ideas: Ippudo, Lupa, Motorino, The Dutch, Osteria Morini... As long as you're sitting down to eat before 10pm you probably won't have any problems, especially in the East Village.

Monday lunch: Corton doesn't serve lunch, so it's out. I would call EMP to ask if they plan to be open that day.

Monday dinner: The Breslin sounds fine, but geographically you'll be closer to the Spotted Pig. For both, I'd do dinner around 5-5:30pm so there's little to no wait, and you have plenty of time to get to the airport. 10:30pm international flight means arriving at 8:30pm at JFK (?). .

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Kathryn, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. Any other ideas for lunch? We would love to do WD-50, but they do not serve lunch either.

For Monday lunch: Jean Georges or Del Posto, perhaps?

I noticed you're coming from New Orleans. Does it have a strong sushi scene? Perhaps Japanese for an upscale weekday lunch on Monday (Yasuda, 15 East, etc)?

Del Posto was on my list as a possible too and JG is on my bucket list. Sushi here is not strong. A land of often copied rolls - the bigger the better. Yasuda could be a fit. Masa has always interested me, but the cost is probably prohibitive.

I got word from EMP that they will be closed on the 4th. This may become my problem.

Yeah, it's the combination of visiting on a Sunday + a holiday Monday that will kill a lot of your plans, since the upscale, 4 star heavy hitters aren't typically open for Sunday dinner anyway.

I happen to love holiday weekends in the city for dining - it sounds like some of the upscale places might be out, but more casual spots will probably be easier to get into than usual.

Del Posto was on my list as a possible too and JG is on my bucket list. Sushi here is not strong. A land of often copied rolls - the bigger the better. Yasuda could be a fit. Masa has always interested me, but the cost is probably prohibitive.

I got word from EMP that they will be closed on the 4th. This may become my problem.

With respect to sushi, there are a number of options that are very good. Certainly Yasuda is one of them, and Masa is really spectacular, if you can scrape together the cash. Others to consider are Soto, 15 East and Ushi Wakamaru. Ushi Wakamaru is fairly straightforward, and is best experienced at the sushi bar. 15 East also features non-sushi dishes (e.g. good soba), although the best sushi experience is (like most top sushi places) at the bar in front of Masato. And Soto has really good creative speciality dishes, both from the kitchen and raw bar, in addition to the sushi.

Sunday, instead of a late lunch, I'd do early dinner at Apiary.

The only problem with an early dinner is that we really want to hit PDT early enough to get in without a wait and get two seats at the bar. I am as much of a cocktail junkie as a food one.

Sunday, instead of a late lunch, I'd do early dinner at Apiary.

The only problem with an early dinner is that we really want to hit PDT early enough to get in without a wait and get two seats at the bar. I am as much of a cocktail junkie as a food one.

You could always make a reservation for after dinner at PDT. But, do make a reservation.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Re: PDT

The issue will be making that reservation, since they only take them at 3pm on the day of.

If your flight is delayed for whatever reason, there's a chance you'll be in the air still at 3pm.

But if you are on the ground already, get through (it's usually pretty busy), and they have availability, I believe you can ask for bar seats in lieu of a table, but it's been a while since I tried. I think they only have two 2-top tables to begin with.