• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

End of year cake for teachers

Lior

While I am not thrilled with all of my youngest (and only one left at home) daughter's 8th grade teachers, I still thought it correct to bring a cake into the teachers' room - as some do desreve it - in mid June to wish them all a good summer holiday. I am quite capable with chocolate, any ideas of how to make a cake with perhaps a glaze/ganache etc? What shape/flavor?

Thanks!

Edited by Lior (log)

Actually early summer is when tea is harvested - and the slightly astringent but aromatic flavor is great for this time of year, when citrus is disappearing and summer fruit isn't here yet - fresh, astringent, and aromatic. Also keeps well, which is a concern with fruity cakes in summer.

Tea-flavored (good quality Earl Grey?) cake with orange or orange flower water?

Alternatively, a green tea (or matcha) cake might be refreshing and pretty?

now I am getting confused! Such good ideas! Alcohol,tea,citrus...apples...

I could easily do a ganache flavored with orange liqueur like grand Marnier, but then what cake would match? Perhaps a plain sponge flavored with orange? Do most folks like this flavor? Sounds nice. I looked at pictures of open book cakes and found that there are trays to make this-but I dont think I can get one here. I guess it is just cutting it into that shape.

Does "an apple for the teacher" mean anything in Israel? If there's something like that by you (maybe "an orange for the teacher?"), you could shape and color (and texture?) the cake accordingly.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hi Alex. Thanks for the input! We are familiar with the teacher-apple connection, however I am not entirely sure the staff will figure out why my cake is or has an apple. Oranges will not go either as they will get that cute substitute(no pun intended). That is why the open book idea came about. I am still open to ideas as carving an open book may not be so easy... and then there is the issue I raised in my last entry.

It may be too late, but with ganache, what about making it a chalkboard/blackboard? Then it wouldn't require much trimming. And just white icing for the text and a couple of somethings (fondant or white choc covered something) for chalk on the bottom?