• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta with brown butter and sage

Fat Guy

Tomorrow yet again I have to BS my way through a cooking project. I have never actually made a brown butter and sage sauce for pasta. Is it really as simple as melting butter over medium heat and stirring until it browns, adding chopped sage for a minute, tossing with pasta and adding parmesan? Anything else I need to know?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tomorrow yet again I have to BS my way through a cooking project. I have never actually made a brown butter and sage sauce for pasta. Is it really as simple as melting butter over medium heat and stirring until it browns, adding chopped sage for a minute, tossing with pasta and adding parmesan? Anything else I need to know?

Pretty much.

You have to watch it carefully so that it doesn't burn. Otherwise it's quite straightforward.

Consider leaving the sage whole or thinly sliced. A dash of lemon juice added toward the end helps cut the richness and halt the cooking.

That's about it.

Actually, don't stir the butter. You can swirl it gently til it all melts, but it won't brown properly unless it's still for a while. Let it foam a bit as the water boils out, then watch for the milk solids at the bottom to brown and pull it off very soon thereafter. It should have a distinct hazelnut aroma.

It is one of those classic italian dishes. So simple , but unbelievably good. After taking the time to make homemade gnocchi it is great to be able to sauce it with something so simple.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

My first experience with pasta with sage brown butter sauce was in Greve, Italy. I was blown away by it. The first few times I tried to create it I was too light handed with the sage leaves and I took them out of the sauce. That was a mstake. They are best left in to crisp up in the sauce to insure the flavor is well infused into the butter and then the texture changes again when introduced into the steaming pasta. Now I AM hungry!

HC

Specifically, I'll be getting 100 small ravioli from Borgatti's in the Bronx and serving them in a big bowl as part of a birthday-party buffet for a friend.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Perhaps a half a clove of garlic at the beginning of browning the butter?

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

What everyone else said. Use enough sage. Use a good cheese (of course).

To paint the lily, make it with pumpkin- or similar squash-filled ravioli. For a simpler, sort-of-deconstructed version, I brown small butternut squash cubes in some olive oil, then mix them with farfalle, the butter-sage sauce, and parm-reg.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Specifically, I'll be getting 100 small ravioli from Borgatti's in the Bronx and serving them in a big bowl as part of a birthday-party buffet for a friend.

If you are doing a larger quantity you can always make a clarified brown butter ahead of time. It keeps well refrigerated. Then you don't have to worry about the butter burning, just heat -fry sage and toss.

Any left over brown butter is great in mash potatoes

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

Dont brown the butter too far before adding the sage, especially if you leave the leaves whole.

They take a while to crisp up.

Although I like the presentation with whole leaves (usually: Clickie(post #825)), chopping it before cooking both speeds the crisping, and makes it easier to distribute evenly.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thanks for all the advice. I think it came out well. Next time I'll probably let the butter brown a little more.

If you are doing a larger quantity you can always make a clarified brown butter ahead of time. It keeps well refrigerated. Then you don't have to worry about the butter burning, just heat -fry sage and toss.

Can you brown clarified butter? I always thought it was the milk solids that browned. I've only made it with whole butter.

This is one of the great pasta sauces. When I take the time to make homemade agnolotti, this is the sauce I use. I like to fry some whole leaves for garnish (when I'm plating the pasta) but otherwise stick with the chiffonade.

It is the milk solids that are browned. Just make clarified butter on top of the stove as normal, but when the solids settle to the bottom - keep going and let them brown. Then strain through cheese cloth/fine strainer and cool. You'll get a great nutty caramel-y clean brown butter that you can use for all sorts of stuff and keeps well in the fridge.