• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using bacon fat in mayonnaise

jakey

Was wondering if you could use bacon fat instead of oil in making mayonnaise. I've searched around, but found no answers. Would it work because the bacon fat would not be room temp? Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

While I appreciate your help Lisa, I am not looking to buy a book, just asking if one can use bacon fat instead of oil. Maybe I'm just not as up to date as others.

Just do what you would do when adding any specialty oil. Substitute a small amount for oil, add towards the end. I would prolly use apple cider vin because it has an affinity with pork, in place of lemon juice ect. Dont use too much though because the texture gets firm and icky when cold.

It has been done and here is the process.

You might like some more of Farr's posts.

And the new site is HERE

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Don't feel dumb! This is how we all learn around here.

While you're using that fat in emulsions, try it in your favorite vinaigrette. Warm bacon dressing served with a frisee, egg, and lardon salad is one of life's great pleasures.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts