• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to do with ice

For the first time in my life I find myself the owner of a refrigerator with an ice maker. Not that the ice is so fantastic, but there is -- from a consumer standpoint -- an infinite quantity of it.

What are some things to do with a surplus of ice? There's only so much I can add to beverages.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

When you're going to make a batch of stock, save up your older ice in ziplock bags (assuming you have room in your freezer). When you need to cool your stock, put a couple of the bags into the stock, and fill your sink with the rest of the ice and water. You can chill down a gallon of stock really fast that way, and get rid of your old ice.

I use so much ice my icemaker is always cycling.

I use a lot to fill bowls in which bowls of salads or cut and dressed fruits are placed because my fridges are usually too full to hold them.

The idea JAZ mentioned for cooling stock is excellent.

- I have one of these cooler thingys in which you can put ice cubes or just freeze water in it,

chiller.JPGI trust it a bit more than plastic bags.

(Having in the past had a rather unfortunate experience with an ice-filled plastic bag. While removing heavyweight, freezer, plastic bag, bottom seam split, melt water dropped en mass into soup - which then adorned the front of my body from chin to toes - worst part, I was wearing a brand new pair of Merrell boots, which were never the same - went from pearl gray to mostly tomato colored. Ugh!) Fortunately the soup was cool.

The jeans I was wearing were also rather aromatic and required several sessions through the laundry before they were again wearable.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ice baths to shock blanched veg. Or use it to chill down a stirred custard or panna cotta. When you have guests over for cocktails, don't be surprised if your supply seems less endless.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I put excess ice into the dog water bowl, they like the chilled water and love to munch the cubes as well.

Or you could let them sit out in a bowl or something, and to the best of my very limited knowledge, they would melt and produce water. This could be used for watering the plants, making a pot of coffee, or perhaps even drinking.

do what i did and kill two birds with one stone - test out your brand new blend-tec's ice crushing ability and turn a pitcher full of ice cubes into fluffy snow (the results are quite impressive)....then make snow balls and launch them at your family!

(wife was in the shower at the time - and not happy about it :raz: )

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

I have a freezer with icemaker, but I hate the way the ice tastes. We don't use very much of it and it does get "stale". When we have a get-together in warm weather I'll dump whatever ice is in the bin so a new batch will produce, but I still buy bagged ice for drinks and use my icemaker cubes to keep bottles cool.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Make icecream

Use for dog toys

Use to keep garbage disposal blades happy

frozen margaritas

ice candles

crush and read Little House in the Big Woods. Post your candy making experience in the relevant thread.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Ice is good for garbage disposal blades? I had no idea...

That's the common wisdom -- I think I've even heard it from a plumber -- but the manual for mine says to throw ice down it to help keep the chamber clean. That makes more sense, since disposal blades aren't very sharp to begin with.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

So I figured out a thing to do with ice: chill tea and coffee. When you have effectively infinite ice, you can fill a huge glass with it and pour hot tea or coffee over.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

So I figured out a thing to do with ice: chill tea and coffee. When you have effectively infinite ice, you can fill a huge glass with it and pour hot tea or coffee over.

Well yeah... if you want to be intelligent about it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Break up a broody hen by letting her brood a clutch of ice cubes. Haven't tried it yet, but I will this weekend, all other methods of breaking up my Buff Orpington having failed.

Do I win for most novel use?

ETA: After posting I thought this might sound mean to non-chicken-keepers. The goal of most methods of breaking up a broody is to physically cool the hen's breast; then she forgets about brooding and goes back to laying.

Edited by Dianabanana (log)

Doesn't that fit into the "beverage use" category?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Break up a broody hen by letting her brood a clutch of ice cubes. Haven't tried it yet, but I will this weekend, all other methods of breaking up my Buff Orpington having failed.

Do I win for most novel use?

ETA: After posting I thought this might sound mean to non-chicken-keepers. The goal of most methods of breaking up a broody is to physically cool the hen's breast; then she forgets about brooding and goes back to laying.

Oh, I thought you meant make her laugh ... :biggrin: