• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTT/WTB: Sharing Modernist Ingredients

avaserfi

I'm in the market for a small quantity of 10" x 15" 3mil bags for my chamber machine. The smallest quantity I can find online is 1000 bags which is more than I would use in a lifetime. 

Would anyone care to part with 100 or so bags from their personal stash for a reasonable price?

-Chris

I have some that are 10" x 13" and 3 mil.

I can spare 100 if they'll work.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting into modernist cooking and would be willing to share the startup costs with like-minded folks.  VacMaster bags (various sizes up to 12"), gellans, emulsifiers, activa, exotic salts -- anything you might have sitting in your pantry unused, or is on your wish list waiting for collaborators.

I live in Manhattan; if you're local, so much the better.  But of course I'd be willing to purchase from / ship to anywhere USPS is feasible.

Cheers,

-Richard

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting into modernist cooking and would be willing to share the startup costs with like-minded folks.  VacMaster bags (various sizes up to 12"), gellans, emulsifiers, activa, exotic salts -- anything you might have sitting in your pantry unused, or is on your wish list waiting for collaborators.

I live in Manhattan; if you're local, so much the better.  But of course I'd be willing to purchase from / ship to anywhere USPS is feasible.

Cheers,

-Richard

I'm certainly interested in certain ones. Gellan and pectinex come to mind, but I'd be willing to buy others I don't already have. 

For the more basic ingredients, you can check out http://www.barryfarm.com/our_store.htm

The prices have gone up a bit, but if you buy from their website, rather than from Amazon (where they also sell the exact same stuff), you save on multiple items due to Amazon's prime shipping "scam."

Edited by lordratner (log)

Hello everyone,

Cheers,

-Richard

Richard,

Go to http://www.modernistpantry.com/ . You can buy small quantities of just about every modernist ingredient without breaking the bank. Buy a whole bunch of things you think you might need and get started small. I still have many items that I have not used in over three years of experimenting with MC. Don't buy too much at first since some things have a relatively short shelf life.  

Best,

Paul

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Richard,

I live close by in NJ and am in Manhattan regularly. I bought 1000 12" VacMaster bags last year and am still on the first bag of 250. i would be willing to trade  some for some smaller bags if you are interested.

Paul

VP, Secty and webmaster www.lesmarmitonsnj.com

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

• 10 months later...