• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili Oil -- Green?

rotuts

Im a big fan of green hot chili's there are the serranos, and jalepenos etc.

most supermarkets sell you the 'no heat' green as above. Ive planted my own and the heat is generaly bread out of supermarket chili.

good news for me: there are some true Indian markets near me. they sell the best fresh produce, and its much cheaper there than the "Super"

they have a green chili there that is quite hot. exactly what im looking for. they cant tell me the name:

its slim, has a pointy tip and about 1 3/4 inches long.

Id really like to learn to make " Green Chili Oil"

think chinatown red chili oil but with the "green" flavor. thats hard to describe but if you like it you know it.

I also understand that the 'Heat" in the chili is in the placenta: the menbrane and the seeds.

has any one made chili oil? green chili oil?

I understand that there are fat soluble item and water soluble items and "Wine Soluble Items: ME !"

If love to be able to 'process' these chiles into "green oil"

that being said i love Tabasco green chili granted it has a lot of vinegar Im a tart person myuself

so:

green chili oil???

thnanks

You don't have to dry it.

Chile oil is easy to make, I've made it with New Mexico green chiles and several other green types. Each has its own character. I recall going on a huge jag of trying every pepper I could find and making everyone I knew chile oil gift sets in 1992. It was a lot of fun. The hard part was using all the oil up after a while.

Take an oil that heats well, like peanut or safflower or canola and put it in a heavy pot like you're going to deep fry. Get the temp up to about 220°F and toss in a couple pepper that have been split open to expose the middle. Seeds are ok, you'll strain this anyway. Let the pepper 'simmer' in the oil for about 5 minutes at the same temp, then remove the pot from the flame and allow to cool. Strain, and place in jars when cool. Try to use within 6 months.

many thanks. I plan to try it very soon as I have a very good source of green fresh inexpensive and hot chilis.

Im hoping i can taste the "green-ness"

the chinese red chili oil must have been strained as its clear. i only use a few drops and seems to keep forever in the coldest part of the refig as long as it tightly coverd.

thanks again!

There was a Lanzhou noodle shop in NYC's Chinatown (Great Eastern was the name, maybe, on Forsythe) that used to serve a chile oil that had what appeared to be chopped fresh Thai bird chiles, mostly green but with a few turning red. It was out of this world, with that very distinct green chile flavor of the bird chile. Sadly, they changed hands and now serve red oil.