• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Bread" Dough for demos

lizztwozee

Greetings, baking professionals! I'm a hobby baker, who's been invited to demonstrate bread forming and braiding techniques at an outdoor art fair. I'm thinking it would be fun to have people watch my demo, then do their own shaping and forming with their own little piece of dough. Everybody wants to learn how to make bread! But the rub is that the dough can't be consumed, as the health dept. will come down on me like flies on sh*t, if you know waddeye mean. So I'm wondering if there's a recipe out there for dough that might kinda act like bread in terms of moisture and texture, but not rise (I'll be outdoors in June), or even be edible, necessarily. Any thoughts?

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky

salt dough would work. it's used for bread sculpture show pieces (and in place of play-do!) def not edible, good texture for the activity you describe, and won't rise.

salt dough

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook