• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MAPP, Propane or Butane

weinoo

There has been some discussion over the years and over the topics about which might be the best gas to use if you use a blow torch in the kitchen to accomplish various tasks.

I know that in MC, Nathan says that the blowtorch has often been used incorrectly when used for searing. Quite a while ago, I posted that I, at times, was able to detect an off-taste when a torch was used. Most likely improperly.

Is there a consensus then, on which is the best type of fuel to use?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

MAPP gas, when not on sale, can be up to four times as expensive as propane.

MAPP gas can have a notable odor when burning, which theoretically could be passed to the surface of the food.

MAPP gas is toxic if inhaled in an unburnt state.

http://egullet.org/p974504

MAPP is a gas similar to propane that burns a bit hotter. This can be important for doing silver soldering or braising. Most (but not necessarily all) propane torches can use MAPP as well.

I have used it for cooking purposes but i have not found any significant difference. A propane torch is already hot enough that there is no increased utility in MAPP.

MAPP gas is overkill in the kitchen.

Stick with propane.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I posted this in the Sous Vide thread:

re propane vs mapp:

another way to look at the problem is the heat generated at the tip of the propane nozzle:

http://www.supplierofchoice.com/

I was a ware of these for a long time, plumbers use them and they are not available at Home Depot.

they are a little pricey but over all and on the long run well worth it.

you do not have to tip the propane canister. and it you want much higher heat, you can treat yourself to the double or tripple head model.

i only have the single but i love it and use it for everyting in the kitchen.

cheers

these 'heads' are not cheeeeep.

I love mine, only a 'one burner' its hotter than a conventional propane head.

had i been into SV at the time I got this Id consider, all economics being important, a duo or so.

I think this is the safest way to go with "Big Heat"

cheers!

I've used MAPP Pro gas, outdoors, a few times, with O.K. results. No off flavors, but it was hard not to burn the surface of the meat.

I understand that lots of gas fuels have mercaptans added so that leaks can be detected, and that this odor can be passed to food. I would hope that the butane used in torches for creme brulee does not have mercaptan in it.

While thinking this over, it occurs to me that I have an electric hot air gun I've used to melt paint. I will have to give it a try. If I recall, it reached obver 800 F. Not nearly as hot as burning gas, but might do the trick.

Excellent point re mercaptans

if its in gas its in all gas. its a safety standard.

the point I use is to not get the gas too close to what Im browning.

the double or triple heads might not be needed, if you are patient.

the problem i have is when i use the """Torch"" Im hungry and impatient

take your time with any torch. have a cracker if you are starving.

maybe a Sous Vide cracker ?

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)