• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Communities Publications: 2011

It's been a while since we last talked about the Edible Communities publications. Given the news that The James Beard Foundation awarded the group its 2011 Publication of the Year Award,it seemed high time for a new topic.

Full disclosure: I am a regular contributor to the RI publication, Edible Rhody.

What are the Edible mags in your neck of the woods? What are they like? What role do they play in your food community?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

very sad that edible los angeles folded. i was an original advertiser (for my cooking school), even though we really don't advertise. have loved the issues i've picked up (edible ojai, san francisco, east bay, boston, etc.) and with the food scene booming in la, i really wish somebody would give it another try!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

honestly, i don't know.

after a couple issues, they tried a "different model"--charging for the magazine....

then it went from editor to editor every issue, and i think ownership changed hands a few times in the 18 months or two years it was published. really too bad, because i love the edible model, and with a new wave of artisan butchers and all manner of foraging, canning, curing and what-have-you, it's really a shame LA doesn't have an edible!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I think there used to be an Edible Atlanta, which now has apparently been replaced by Edible Metro and Mountains. I found Edible Atlanta to be preachy and one-dimensional; this one seems a little better balanced. Mostly, though, I just find the whole concept tiresome.

• 1 month later...

I pick up the Edible East Bay issue at the market. I kind of like it, sometimes a nice story about a farm or ranch, new restaurant etc. Nothing too special, nothing I'd ever pay for, and mostly I look at the ads to see what's available around here. I think it's a neat idea and works as a free give away. Content could be more interesting, more cooking with what's at the market articles, things like that.

As long as it's free, I'll be happy to pick it up :-D

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I pick up a copy of Edible Iowa River Valley every time I find a new issue. Always at least two or three

interesting articles. Love learning about local producers that I can use. Discovered the Milton Creamery

less than 15 miles from home. They have some world class cheese. It is strictly a family operation that

uses milk from local Amish farms. Glad the magazine steered me to it!

I didn't know that an Edible Madison has existed for a year, but really I can't be surprised. The concept seems custom built for the place. I took a look at their summer issue: short articles with tips for farmer's market shopping, some short profiles of local places/producers, a goofy piece about drawing a mental "foodshed" (like a watershed, but with food) map with crayons on construction paper (yes, for adults). The recipes are very very basic. I can see how this kind of a thing has appeal, but it's not for me I don't think. Then again, it's only a year old and a handful of issues in, so if I happen to see the next one around I might look into it to see how its coming along.

nunc est bibendum...

I'm not at all familiar with these publications so I checked to see if there is a Philadelphia edition. It turns out that they will be starting one next spring. I'll have to check it when they start publishing.