• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Crackers - 2011

Toliver

The last time I was in the grocery store I was surprised to see that Ritz Crackers now come in Cinnamon and Sugar flavor. :blink: Then I started looking at the other flavors they offered and realized there has been a quiet revolution in snack crackers going on.

Ritz Crackers have six varieties listed on their web site (odd how they don't list the Cinnamon & Sugar flavor). Plus they have some new crackers called "Crackerfuls" that come in four different flavors including Cheddar & Bacon.

Then I looked at the Triscuits and saw they had even more flavors (15 listed on the web site).

Wheat Thins has about 15 different flavors/kinds shown on their web site (click on "Our Varieties").

Cheez-Its now have about 10 flavors (the Duoz sound good...two flavors in one box).

And then there's the Keebler line of crackers.

To paraphrase the Oldsmobile commercial tagline,"These aren't my father's snack crackers."

Has anyone tried any of the new flavors of snack crackers? Any winners? Any losers?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My go-to favorite snack cracker I first tasted as one of those promotional giveaways in our local Costco; Mary's Organic Crackers, Original only please. Delicious. :wub: :wub:

DH's favorite is Wheat Thins, original only also.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I tried the Wheat thins rosemary and Olive oil. they were pretty good. It gives you a way to eat a triscuit without a topper (cheese, etc.). I like the regular triscuits but generally only as a vehicle to convey something else to my mouth. :laugh:

The bane of my existence is Ritz Chips (Cheddar flavor). I can't stop eating them!

I am not a Cheez-its fan but the hot and spicy Tabasco ones are pretty good.

Keebler - Zestas are my favorite saltine.

I love the Export sodas and sometimes buy the huge round tin at BJ's.

Nutcrisps almond are tasty and a very good cracker to serve for those who have gluten issues.

A club cracker original shouldn't be messed with - I doubt I'll try other flavors.

Toasteds sesame, wheat and butter are very good.

Who knew I was such a Keebler person??? :shock:

For filled snack crackers I prefer the Lance variety over all others. (toast-chee - bright orange crackers with peanut butter).

Do Pepperidge Farm Goldfish count? Love my goldfish.

My other favorite is from Trader Joe's, their Pita Bite cracker. For a basic cracker, they have a lot of flavor. Good with anything.

I like Cheeze its, Ritz, triscuits.

I once met the guy who invented triscuits. A Nabisco factory engineer who was told to convert a breakfast cereal into a cracker. Nice guy.

Anyone notice that the quality control on Ritz has fallen in recent years? Misshapen, burned, double crackers are pretty common. Potato chips are less variable.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Do Pepperidge Farm Goldfish count? Love my goldfish.

Yes, they count!

I know they have the different colored fish crackers aimed at kids but I don't think I could eat them. I'd be thinking of the purple dye everytime I ate a purple one. :blink:

My niece loves Cheez-Its. Every year at Christmas time, I make a special batch of the "Chex Mix" for her but use only the little pretzels and Cheez-Its for the mix.

The Ritz Cinnamon & Sugar flavor made me think of the infamous but long gone "Mock Apple Pie" recipe that used to be on every box of Ritz crackers. I bet that new flavor of crackers would go great with a slice of apple.

Tim Oliver

Yes, they count!

I know they have the different colored fish crackers aimed at kids but I don't think I could eat them. I'd be thinking of the purple dye everytime I ate a purple one. :blink:

Actually they use natural food dyes- I was surprised and pleased at this when I was considering getting them for my 2-year-old.

My favorite crackers are Wheat Thins, I don't buy them because I'll devour a whole box.

I picked up a box of Nairns oatcakes and thought they tasted like sawdust. My 2-year old loved them though. I picked up another box, this time of the mixed berry oat biscuits and love them.

Has anyone seen a commercial product like these cumin seed crackers that nikkib posted about in the Lebanon dining forum - I think they would be fantastic with my guacamole -

some recent meals another trip to momo for a glass of wine and some snacks in the bar, a great avocado salad (guacamole) with cumin biscuits

003.JPG

• 9 years later...

Did Chef Stephanie Izard  (from Top Chef) sell her soul, or did she step into this willingly?

"You Can Order a Cheez-It Cake to Celebrate the Snack's 100th Anniversary"

...Chef Izard's latest creation may be her most ambitious to date. And before you think it isn't a cake made out of Cheez-Its to celebrate the beloved snack cracker's 100th anniversary… well, yes… it's a cake made out of Cheez-Its. And soon, you can order one yourself.

My niece is a Cheez-Its fanatic. I've made Chex Mix using just Cheez-Its for her every Christmas (she swoons over them).

But in a cake? I suppose if anyone can make this idea work, it would be Chef Izard.

Anyone care to take one for the team? xD

• Confused 1

Tim Oliver