• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A week in NY

eternal

Trying to put together a couple places to hit on our trip to NY. We used to live in the LES back in 2009 and hit a lot of the favorites at the time: Babbo, Del Posto, Lupa, Casa Mono (wait, these are all Batali? :) as well as noodle bar and ssam and we travel back regularly, but rarely over a weekend. It is the wife's birthday around the same time so I was looking for something special but it appears i'm a little late for Memorial Day Weekend. EMP, Gramercy are both booked up for decent times. Per Se is a little out of the price range. I'm going to try for Ko and I booked a dinner at Morini and early dinner at Gramercy on Sunday night before we leave. We are staying at the Ace so I'm sure we'll eat at the Breslin

It seems like Degustation would be a good choice, but I don't think they take reservations.

Can someone recommend another special dinner option? We like the contemporary style of service - not overly fussy. And I'm pretty much done with the 10 course tasting menus (yes I'm aware I just contradicted something I just wrote). I'm looking for a nice 3 or 4 course meal with a relaxing vibe - some place you just want to hang out and enjoy a slow meal.

I'm sure we'll spend a day eating Chinese in either chinatown. Can someone recommend a good place for Hunan or Szechuan in chinatown Manhattan in case we don't make it to Flushing?

Thanks

If you're looking for japanese/sushi, I'd recommend Yasuda - you can order a couple of apps, then stagger the sushi so they pace it out and it can be very relaxing there.

For szechuan, I'd recommend Szechuan Gourmet on 39th and 5th (or somewhere right around there, I forget) - I think their food is better than any szechuan in chinatown or even Flushing - a few friends and I (including one who grew up in Szechuan province) compared it to Spicy&Tasty in Flushing over a few meals, and for 9 out of 10, we found SG to be vastly superior.

Thanks for the info. I find sushi in Seattle is on par with or better than anything in NY, though I've heard good things about Yasuda. I end up eating it there as my co-worker liked to do the big sushi work dinner that is ridiculously expensive...but that's another topic.

I think your second suggestion is perfect though. I love SPicy & Tasty in Flushing and 39th and 5th is even close to the Ace. Thanks for the recommendation! Is this a busy place or can I walk in at any time?

I might rethink Osteria Morini if you want something special. The tables are extremely close together (as in, become friends with your neighbor's foot). It's also very, very loud.

Since you like Babbo, Del Posto, Lupa, I would look into Maialino and/or Scarpetta who appear to have some early / late tables left on OpenTable for that weekend. I enjoyed my meals there more than Morini. I hear good things about Ciano as well and they appear to have primetime tables left.

Degustation absolutely does take reservations but only by phone. Call ASAP. Reservations are highly recommended since it is such a small space. Another option nearby would be to make a reservation for the chef's counter at Kyo Ya for their kaiseki cuisine. Aldea (Portuguese) might be an option as well. They also have a chef's counter.

You should also know that Tien Ho left Momofuku Ssam Bar a while ago to run the kitchen at Ma Peche. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is more sedate/quiet.

Corton also appears to have space via OpenTable if you change your mind about tasting menus.

Szechuan Gourmet is excellent and for a party of 2, I've had to wait maybe 15 minutes, tops. Just don't get there too late. They close the kitchen around 9pm.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Szechuan Gourmet can be very busy at prime time on the weekends - I've seen them turn people away because the wait would be too long. I was there once on Friday at 8PM and it seemed like there was a tour bus full of Chinese tourists waiting for tables! I would recommend calling them that day for a reservation, or go on the earliesh side and you should be ok. During the week for dinner, you should be ok to walk in any time with little wait.

BTW, I was at Szechuan Gourmet at 7pm this past Saturday, and there was no wait at all, and even a few empty tables.

OK. I deleted Morini and booked Aldea. Maybe I will do the tasting menu there. Even got a good time (8pm on a friday!) I hope it is not bland as someone else suggested.

On that note, do you know a good Portuguese place that is more classic? Think lots of fried bachalao (sp) and potatoes, etc? We did a couple weeks of traveling in northern portugal last year and had a great time. Would love to find a place to remind us.

Thanks for the info

I might rethink Osteria Morini if you want something special. The tables are extremely close together (as in, become friends with your neighbor's foot). It's also very, very loud.

Since you like Babbo, Del Posto, Lupa, I would look into Maialino and/or Scarpetta who appear to have some early / late tables left on OpenTable for that weekend. I enjoyed my meals there more than Morini. I hear good things about Ciano as well and they appear to have primetime tables left.

Degustation absolutely does take reservations but only by phone. Call ASAP. Reservations are highly recommended since it is such a small space. Another option nearby would be to make a reservation for the chef's counter at Kyo Ya for their kaiseki cuisine. Aldea (Portuguese) might be an option as well. They also have a chef's counter.

You should also know that Tien Ho left Momofuku Ssam Bar a while ago to run the kitchen at Ma Peche. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is more sedate/quiet.

Corton also appears to have space via OpenTable if you change your mind about tasting menus.

Szechuan Gourmet is excellent and for a party of 2, I've had to wait maybe 15 minutes, tops. Just don't get there too late. They close the kitchen around 9pm.

I agree with most of what you say, but wanted to add a few comments in the Italian department. Certainly Morini can be loud and crowded, but I don't think it's fair to separate it that much from Lupa or Scarpetta, which also can be pretty hectic on a busy night. Same goes for Ciano, although less so. One of Ciano's main draws is the great half-bottle wine program. All of them serve excellent food, but none of them are really elegant, occasion-y places and differentiating seems like splitting hairs. They're "upscale rustic", for lack of a better term. Much like Locanda Verde, which is also a very good consideration in that category and hasn't been mentioned. For better or for worse, NY is in the middle of a bloom (or maybe even glut) of good rustic Italian food. L'artusi and Dell'anima would also make my list of that type. If the OP is looking for something more reserved and quiet, I'd say Ai Fiori might be worth a go. The food is great, and it's definitely more serene and elegant, if a bit safe in decor. The food is predominantly Italian, but with some French influence, and is very good. And I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Marea yet, as that is one of the top places in NY for upscale Italian (with a seafood focus). More of a real occasion place.

I completely concur with the above mentions of Degustation, which is great, and informal but still dateworthy. As stated, they do take reservations, and I'd recommend getting one. Totally agree with Kyo Ya and Corton as well.

Edited by LPShanet (log)

Can someone recommend another special dinner option? We like the contemporary style of service - not overly fussy. And I'm pretty much done with the 10 course tasting menus (yes I'm aware I just contradicted something I just wrote). I'm looking for a nice 3 or 4 course meal with a relaxing vibe - some place you just want to hang out and enjoy a slow meal.

I'm sure we'll spend a day eating Chinese in either chinatown. Can someone recommend a good place for Hunan or Szechuan in chinatown Manhattan in case we don't make it to Flushing?

Thanks

In terms of contemporary special dinners, aside from the ones mentioned in my previous reply, I think Brooklyn Fare is one of the best, if not the best, in town right now. The whole place is just a small chef's counter, and the food is stellar. However, it's more in the 10 course realm than a more modest assortment. Still, the courses are small and the vibe isn't stuffy at all.

As for Chinatown, I'd say it's not the best source for either Hunan or Szechuan, as Manhattan's Chinatown is primarily Cantonese. For Szechuan you either have to head uptown a bit, or preferably to Queens. For Hunan, I think it maybe a straight trip to Queens. If you stick to Chinatown, you may want to go with their strengths rather than fight the current. There's good bbq, decent Shanghainese and lots of Cantonese and some Fujianese.

Thanks for the info. I find sushi in Seattle is on par with or better than anything in NY, though I've heard good things about Yasuda. I end up eating it there as my co-worker liked to do the big sushi work dinner that is ridiculously expensive...but that's another topic.

I think your second suggestion is perfect though. I love SPicy & Tasty in Flushing and 39th and 5th is even close to the Ace. Thanks for the recommendation! Is this a busy place or can I walk in at any time?

Yasuda is definitely very good, despite the recent departure of Yasuda himself. However, if you're finding sushi in Seattle on par with NY, there's a decent chance you haven't been to the best places in NY. Seattle has good sushi, especially at the mid-range level, but the top end doesn't compete favorably with NY's. In addition to Yasuda, you may want to check out Masa (which is ridiculously priced, but worth it), Soto, Ushi Wakamaru, 15 East or even maybe Kuruma. All are better than anything I've had in the NW.

Well sure, I'd love to go to Masa but that isn't in the budget. In regards to the others, my colleague always takes me and some clients to the latest hip and happening sushi restaurant that is incredibly expensive and i'm always unimpressed. Between Shiro's, Umi, Mashiko and Nishino, I highly doubt I'm missing anything in NYC and certainly not anything worth paying 5x on.

I'll look into Brooklyn Fare. Sounds interesting.

Thanks!

In regards to the others, my colleague always takes me and some clients to the latest hip and happening sushi restaurant that is incredibly expensive and i'm always unimpressed. Between Shiro's, Umi, Mashiko and Nishino, I highly doubt I'm missing anything in NYC and certainly not anything worth paying 5x on.

I'll look into Brooklyn Fare. Sounds interesting.

Thanks!

With respect to sushi, in most cases, if it's a place that's "hip and happening", it's not the right place to go.

With respect to sushi, in most cases, if it's a place that's "hip and happening", it's not the right place to go.

Fair enough. But lets assume I'm not interested in sushi for this trip :)

I think I'm set now though. Appreciate all the help! Heading to NY for one night this week and think I'll just end up at Txikito

I just noticed Veritas has open tables and their menu looks pretty nice. I ran across them looking through a blog on woolly pigs. Would one rate veritas higher than aldea?

Definitely.

Veritas has, imho, always been one of the most underrated high-end places in NYC. And if you love wine as I suspect you do, you're in for a treat.

I just noticed Veritas has open tables and their menu looks pretty nice. I ran across them looking through a blog on woolly pigs. Would one rate veritas higher than aldea?

Definitely.

Veritas has, imho, always been one of the most underrated high-end places in NYC. And if you love wine as I suspect you do, you're in for a treat.

I'm not disagreeing based on my personal opinion, as I haven't been to Veritas in a few years, but thought I should ask if you've been there in the last 6 months to a year. As mentioned, I haven't, but have heard mixed things of late. So I'll provide the devil's advocate information just for completeness. As stated, this isn't necessarily my personal leaning, just the flip side of the information coin.

While Veritas is definitely a more elegant, dressy/occasion kind of place, there are those who say it's no longer near the top of its game (and maybe hasn't been since the departure of long time Exec Chef Scott Bryan). There has been a lot of turnover in the kitchen there since then (3 different exec chefs since 2008), and the current head toque is Sam Hazen, who is by most accounts talented, but whose experience is mostly in big box middle-brow restaurants (TAO, Todd English Enterprises, Tavern on the Green). So there's the chance that you may have an elegant but undistinguished meal.

Aldea, meanwhile, is decidedly less formal, although at a similar price point. But George Mendes's cuisine is definitely more modern and unique than what you'll find at Veritas. So it's really a matter priorities. If you want a quiet, elegant meal with slightly more familiar flavors in a more traditional atmosphere, then Veritas is definitely more bang for the buck. And as SobaAddict stated, the wine program is very impressive (and much more ambitious than that at Aldea). However, if you're more lured by brightness of flavor, inventiveness and a more casual vibe, then Aldea is certainly much more "of the moment" and I think a bit more distinctive. It really seems to come down to what you want from the meal.

N.B. On a more objective note, Zagat has them at a very similar rating (one at 25, the other at 26), though I think most on the boards wouldn't put much weight in Zagat ratings.

Edited by LPShanet (log)

Definitely.

I'm not disagreeing based on my personal opinion, as I haven't been to Veritas in a few years, but thought I should ask if you've been there in the last 6 months to a year. As mentioned, I haven't, but have heard mixed things of late. So I'll provide the devil's advocate information just for completeness. As stated, this isn't necessarily my personal leaning, just the flip side of the information coin.

While Veritas is definitely a more elegant, dressy/occasion kind of place, there are those who say it's no longer near the top of its game (and maybe hasn't been since the departure of long time Exec Chef Scott Bryan). There has been a lot of turnover in the kitchen there since then (3 different exec chefs since 2008), and the current head toque is Sam Hazen, who is by most accounts talented, but whose experience is mostly in big box middle-brow restaurants (TAO, Todd English Enterprises, Tavern on the Green). So there's the chance that you may have an elegant but undistinguished meal.

Aldea, meanwhile, is decidedly less formal, although at a similar price point. But George Mendes's cuisine is definitely more modern and unique than what you'll find at Veritas. So it's really a matter priorities. If you want a quiet, elegant meal with slightly more familiar flavors in a more traditional atmosphere, then Veritas is definitely more bang for the buck. And as SobaAddict stated, the wine program is very impressive (and much more ambitious than that at Aldea). However, if you're more lured by brightness of flavor, inventiveness and a more casual vibe, then Aldea is certainly much more "of the moment" and I think a bit more distinctive. It really seems to come down to what you want from the meal.

N.B. On a more objective note, Zagat has them at a very similar rating (one at 25, the other at 26), though I think most on the boards wouldn't put much weight in Zagat ratings.

I was there at the end of April, actually.

Instead od Veritas, try Aviary. Scott Bryan moved over there a few years back. And is still awesome.

You mean Apiary, right?

Yes sorry Kenneth Apiary! I'd only recommend it if you are willing and wanting to ask for Scott's recomendations. Makes a very big difference there.

You can tell them you heard that from a little bird from Hoboken.

So a friend texted me today thinking I was in the city. I'm going tomorrow but he wanted to know a good place to get dinner at tonight. I recommended Degustation and he said it was amazingly good. interesting because he is very picky and a pescatarian.

On another note, any thoughts on a good classical Portuguese place? Some place with fried bacalhau and potatoes?

Thanks

Degustation does have a lot of shellfish and fish dishes on the menu. It's not a good place to take someone who dislikes, say, small oily fish like sardines. It's great if you like things like tomatoes, oysters, squid, octopus, quail, poached eggs, pork, duck, etc.

A quick search of Menupages and Yelp yields very little in terms of classical Portuguese.

But Hotel Griffou's Portguese Brunch may appeal:

http://www.griffou.com/pdf/Griffou.PortugueseBrunch.pdf

So a friend texted me today thinking I was in the city. I'm going tomorrow but he wanted to know a good place to get dinner at tonight. I recommended Degustation and he said it was amazingly good. interesting because he is very picky and a pescatarian.

On another note, any thoughts on a good classical Portuguese place? Some place with fried bacalhau and potatoes?

Thanks

There aren't a lot of Portuguese options in Manhattan, but if you're craving bacalhau, you could give Pao! on Spring and Greenwich a shot. I haven't been in a few years, but the food was acceptable last time I went, and they do have the basic classics.