• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Williams-Sonoma Butcher Shop

Chris Amirault

So Williams-Sonoma just hung up a virtual butcher shop shingle. Pretty impressive line-up: Pat LaFrieda, Double R Ranch, Snake River Farms, etc.

It seems keyed to US Father's Day BBQ and grilling gift-making. I can't quite figure out how delivery is factored into the price and whether it's worth paying W-S as a middleman or not.

Has anyone tried this out?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I would need to try it side by side with a locally sourced steak, even if that steak was sourced from Central Market or Whole Foods. I just need a pile of money, a grill, and some frineds to conduct a taste test. :cool:

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

To give you an idea of the markup, you can buy an 8lb Kurobota Pork belly from SRF for $45. It is $90 for the identical SRF belly from W-S butcher shop. The SRF bacon is $30 A LB from W-S!!!

Edited to add: You can actually get the pork belly directly from SRF for 38.25 if you use the coupon code SRFVIP. I think that code works for anything on their site.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)