• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Men go for the center, women for sides?

Some time ago, we had a discussion here of a possible difference between the way men and women order in restaurants. The basic premise, as I remember it, was that men order a dish based mainly on what the center-of-the-plate is, whereas women base their decision more on the accompanying sides. (Sorry, I could not find the thread now.)

I was quite interested to note that The Anatomy of a Dish is organized the way it is: starting with sides, in effect, and then moving on to the addition of proteins. In a way, this supports the theory stated above.

But what does each of you really think of that theory?

Some time ago, we had a discussion here of a possible difference between the way men and women order in restaurants.  The basic premise, as I remember it, was that men order a dish based mainly on what the center-of-the-plate is, whereas women base their decision more on the accompanying sides.  (Sorry, I could not find the thread now.)

Great question, and Suzanne is summarizing it accurately from my recollection, too.

I like the variety of flavors that side dishes offer to the 'main', usually protein part of the dish. Now, it is becoming desirable to eat small plates, perhaps balancing out the quantity of food assigned to the different parts of the plate. I think it is less about the protein and more about quantity of food on a plate when discussing food preferences between men and women; most women tend to eat less than men (but not always). In my book, Anatomy of a Dish, I start with vegetables and fruits as a flavor base to build my dishes. But, I often am inspired by a market available fish or meat that steer me in the other direction.