• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes made by Mothers who are bad cooks

Okay a few years ago a famous actress was interviewed in a magazine and she said her Mother was a horrible cook.

But the only thing her mother made that was any good was this casserole...

They printed the recipe at the end of the interview and it had like 2 cans of Franco American Spaghetti,

a can of water chestnuts, I think ground beef and cheese a few other things, baked in the oven for 1 hour.

I actually made it and strangely I wanna make it again...

Anyone remember this interview? I know its a long shot!

Anyone else have a Mom who cant cook but has ONE great recipe?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Not my mom, but a friends mother. They are not really a cooking household, and my friend once admitted to thinking pasta with ketchup was normal... but her mother makes the most amazing chocolate chip blondies I have ever had in my life!! It is like eating chocolate chip cookie dough, except the egg isn't raw, and it is in a handy bite-sized piece!

Yeah, my own mother thinks cooking is a drag and lives entirely on take-out and precooked meals from the supermarket. She did make a good clam, mushroom and garlic spaghetti, which I occasionally make, substituting fresh mushrooms for the original canned and adding dried chiles.

Also, "roast" (whole braised) chicken with mushroom gravy. I haven't made this in years but the gravy is still my standard poultry gravy, again substituting fresh mushrooms for canned.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Not my mom, but a friends mother. They are not really a cooking household, and my friend once admitted to thinking pasta with ketchup was normal...

Hah, that reminds me of some bit of my family lore--supposedly, the first time my (Jewish) father went to my mother's (Italian) parents' house for dinner, he put ketchup on the pasta. How he made it out of the house alive is still a mystery.

The only thing his mother could make (to keep it slightly on topic) was brisket (for Passover) and cold chicken. Or at least, that is all I can remember eating at her house.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

This doesn't have water chestnuts in it but is this the recipe?

Spaghetti Casserole

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp vegetable oil 1 lb ground beef or turkey 2 6 oz cans tomato paste l onion, chopped

1 clove of garlic, minced 2 28 oz cans of Franco-American spaghetti Parmesan cheese, grated

DIRECTIONS

 Brown the meat, onion, and garlic in the oil in a skillet, and drain thoroughly.

 Add the spaghetti and tomato paste to the meat mixture, and mix well.

 Transfer the mixture to a 13x9 pan, sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese, and bake for 1 hour in the oven at 350.

Kay

Nope, sorry...everything Mom makes is terrible, bless her garlic-fearing soul... :rolleyes:

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

My own mother isn't a bad cook, but she ran to experimental ideas (with which I can sympathize), and one of the gnarlier takes on vegetarian and health foods, so I was frequently not in love with the results. She's given a lot of that up over time, but I'm careful to not be around at Thanksgiving, when nut loaf still takes centre stage. Brrrr.

My boyfriend's mother is a very sweet and honest (therefore trusting) woman who is unenthusiastic about cooking, and has a touching faith in the reliability of any recipe in print, which makes for some sad little disasters (the other night we had some dessicated stuffed pheasants, because The Recipe indicated that browning the pheasants, then roasting them at 200C for as long as it took for the mostly ground pork stuffing to reach a safe temperature, would work out fine). Artificial sweeteners, skim milk, and brown food colouring make frequent appearances.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Nope, sorry...everything Mom makes is terrible, bless her garlic-fearing soul... :rolleyes:

Are you my sister?

A while ago I was making stock and tasted the meat on the bone after a few hours of roast and simmer. It was dry, tasteless and very familiar; a taste from my youth...Sunday dinner!

My Mom nukes the McDonalds she brings home on a regular basis. That's as close to home cooking as it gets.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Oh man....Love my mom, but she was a terrible cook! Spaghetti was hamburger meat, a can of plain tomato sauce, over cooked pasta. Period. Forget seasonings. But the one thing she did make and make well was fried potatoes, onions, peppers and sausage. All in a pan together, fry it up. It was amazing! I still crave that taste.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child