• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Snack Weakness At Home

I always come back to lemons, sliced thin and sprinkled with sea salt. Or, hunks of preserved lemons, unrinsed. Sometimes I will stray away to olives of every sort, occasionally crusty bread with olive oil and cheese. The only thing that can sway me from the lemons for very long though, is fresh of the vine tomato's in season, just hand me the salt grinder and get out of my way!

You eat them peel and all?

I don't eat the peel on the fresh ones, just the preserved lemons.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Lately I have been snacking too much of sourdough hard pretzels from Trader Joes. I have quit this nasty habit cold turkey.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Cookies. More specifically, Girl Scout cookies. Even more specifically, Thin Mints. Despite what the portion size indicates on the side of the box, I tend to go through them a sleeve at a time.

Ice cream that comes in a pint size container (Ben & Jerry's, Haggan Dazs, etc.). If I am craving it, and knowing that I WILL eat the entire container in a sitting, I try to either get frozen yogurt or sorbet. Yes, I realize I'm not saving much on the caloric content, but somehow knowing that I haven't just consumed enough fat/saturated fat for two entire days makes it "okay".

I once had friends over for pizza and a movie and when asked if I had anything for dessert, I replied in the negative. My one friend looked shocked and asked why not. "Because if I buy it, I will eat it."

To help with this same Ben and Jerry's "problem" I've taken to only buying the tiny (but still fat filled) single servings that come with their own flat plastic spoons. In this way I find I can restrain myself. However, the flavor choices are limited. Recently I bought a pint of Chunky Monkey and managed to make it last for 3 servings. I can only do this if I make myself scoop it out into a bowl - if I start eating out of the carton...I'm doomed! :shock:

I have many snack weaknesses - most of which involves sweets to some degree. Granola, dried mangoes, nutella on toast, peanut butter + nutella, cookies, pie, cake, pudding...... so yeah, I have a insatiable sweet tooth

I TRY to avoid sweet snacks, but it frequently doesn't work. To aid me in that effort, I love good half-sour pickles, cheese and crackers, cottage cheese with Old Bay Garlic and Herbs, and as much bacon as I think I can get away with. :laugh: Oh, yeah, MUNCHOS!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I always have unsalted pretzels in the cabinet. Good for dipping into hummous. But sometimes that also means squirting/spooning a little of every condiment in the fridge into a bowl and trying to create "super dip".

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I like Japanese snacks like Meiji Corn Snacks, Shrimp Chips, Wasabi Peas, seasoned roasted nori etc.

Nobody makes crispy snacks like Japan.

Amen! I love those little crackers that have seaweed in them! Addictive!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child