• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Snack Weakness At Home

You know the feeling...a little peckish perhaps. So I go to the fridge, and 9 times out of 10, there's some good smidgen of cheese in there. I try not to keep too much cured meats on hand for specifically this reason.

So, for me it's cheese and crackers. For you?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I go through various "phases" for snacking. Recently, I've been doing hummus and pita chips. Cheese and crackers is pretty common, too. Usually it's cheddar cheese on Triscuits or that "port wine" cheese spread on Triscuits. Guacamole with toritlla chips is another favorite of mine. I also like peanut butter on saltines or grahm crackers. When I'me feeling really flush, I'll bake some gougeres. Those may be my actual FAVORITE thing.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm like you, I'm a savoury snacker, so cheese in the main (With an apple if I have one to hand), or picking at any cured meats I have in. Olives too, although they aren't the most filling of snacks!

Last few days it has quite often been a cold boiled potato (Jersey Royals, cooked too may at the weekend) with far too much salt!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Right now it is the guacamole and the fresh salsa from yesterday with good tortilla chips. When that is not around it is usually roasted peanuts or cashew in the shell, or Calbee shrimp chips with wasabi. When the tomato harvest starts it is room temp tomato and cheese.

I'm a fiend for bread chocolate. Straight from the box. We cannot keep the stuff around... my boyfriend keeps pointing out that eating the equivalent weight of good-quality chocolate bars would actually be cheaper than scarfing these sheets of crap-o almost-chocolate, but do I do that..? No. I do not.

I never, EVER, heard of that....Nutella yes, bread chocolate, no. Learned something today.

For me, mostly crunchy....this week $2. a pound Ollie's almond halves. Very thin, quite toasted, VERY crunchy. Triscuit kind of crackers with cream cheese or cheddar, never pb, that is breakfast. Too much snacking going on here.

I'm very hard on Superior Chocolate bars from La Universal, which are meant to be for preparing hot chocolate. I can gnarble my way through the big, 2-bar 240g packs in an hour or so if I'm not really thinking about it....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I go through various "phases" for snacking. Recently, I've been doing hummus and pita chips. Cheese and crackers is pretty common, too. Usually it's cheddar cheese on Triscuits or that "port wine" cheese spread on Triscuits. Guacamole with toritlla chips is another favorite of mine. I also like peanut butter on saltines or grahm crackers. When I'me feeling really flush, I'll bake some gougeres. Those may be my actual FAVORITE thing.

I too have phases but mine tend to be seasonal. Right now the snacks weigh heaving on the Mediterranean type.

Dolmas, since I made a bunch last week and they keep well. A small portion of a crusty, artisan bread dipped in oil. Occasionally a bit of cheese with fruit (my favorite caerphilly).

I too like saltines with peanut butter (homemade) but I also like a stack of saltines with nothing but a glass of milk.

As I am still on my weight loss project, I am severely limiting my baking and consuming of biscuits, scones, muffins, tea cakes and (sob) cornbread.

It's either than or give up my homemade butter for the duration and I would rather have a little butter on an extremely high fiber slice of toast than give it up completely.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For snacking I usually want a cracker-like object, savory or salty, often accompanied by tea, if the weather is cool. Right now I'm partial to something called Raincoast Crisps, available at Whole Foods and one other place I shop more routinely. There are a half dozen flavors, but the only one that appeals to me is the "original," which is seedy, nutty and simple. The others sound awful to me, frankly, so I've never tried them; they have various fruits and nuts in them and must be fairly sweet. Fussy.

Another cracker I love is the Stonewall Kitchen Simply White. Also very plain. Their other varieties include Seasalt and Asiago.

When I have no crackers or I am actually hungry, I pop corn and top it with gray salt and a little grated pecorino. That can easily replace a meal, especially in the evening when accompanied by something tall and alcoholic.

Maui sweet onion potato chips, Cheetos and Trader Joe's Root Veg chips are weaknesses, and I just have to limit those purchases. I go through them so fast it's a total waste of money.

If I have any munchies, it's usually cottage cheese, beef jerky or fruit.

Yes, I'm boring.

There's also leftovers but that's not really exciting to most of y'all.

NOW, if it were tomato season however, I have to seriously restrain myself from scarfing all the tomato confit in the house. That's why I regularly make triple my normal batch, because I have such weak willpower. :laugh:

If I know there's any sort of salted nut in the house (peanuts, pistachios, cashews, it's all good) I can't rest until I've eaten them all. I try to be strong, but it never works.

Cookies. More specifically, Girl Scout cookies. Even more specifically, Thin Mints. Despite what the portion size indicates on the side of the box, I tend to go through them a sleeve at a time.

Ice cream that comes in a pint size container (Ben & Jerry's, Haggan Dazs, etc.). If I am craving it, and knowing that I WILL eat the entire container in a sitting, I try to either get frozen yogurt or sorbet. Yes, I realize I'm not saving much on the caloric content, but somehow knowing that I haven't just consumed enough fat/saturated fat for two entire days makes it "okay".

I once had friends over for pizza and a movie and when asked if I had anything for dessert, I replied in the negative. My one friend looked shocked and asked why not. "Because if I buy it, I will eat it."

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I like Japanese snacks like Meiji Corn Snacks, Shrimp Chips, Wasabi Peas, seasoned roasted nori etc.

Nobody makes crispy snacks like Japan.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Potato chips - current favourite flavour is lime and black pepper.

Gummy bears (oh shame on me!)

Jelly Babies (more shame)

Hunks of good cheese

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I always come back to lemons, sliced thin and sprinkled with sea salt. Or, hunks of preserved lemons, unrinsed. Sometimes I will stray away to olives of every sort, occasionally crusty bread with olive oil and cheese. The only thing that can sway me from the lemons for very long though, is fresh of the vine tomato's in season, just hand me the salt grinder and get out of my way!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!