• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Near the Museum of Natural History on a Saturday

Two kids, my dad, and me: I'm already freaking out about this road trip coming on the weekend, which features a big trip to the Museum of Natural History. Thoughts on food within the area midday? If you say "Shake Shack," give me a rough wait time.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

How much do you want to spend on lunch and how far do you think you'd travel? As far as what jumps into my head right away-

Recipe (82nd and amsterdam) is great new-american/french influenced, everything I've had was delicious. One thing you're going to run into is that a lot of places will be serving a brunch menu, rather than their normal lunch offerings.

Shake shack is definitely a good option, I think I've waited maybe 20 minutes at that location before, nothing too insane. It's not one of their nicer locations inside, so if you go with them, I'd think about getting it to go and walking over to central park!

A little further away, but a great deal, is pio pio on amsterdam. They're peruvian, and make great rotisserie chicken and sides.

Fish tag is right around the museum, but a little more expensive. Everything I've had there was very good (grilled octopus, and a brandade/smoked eggplant/roasted pepper bruschetta stand out). I also had a few good meals at kefi a couple years ago - it's greek, and owned by the same people as fish tag.

Go to Zabar's and get a whole bunch of stuff to make your own lunch, than walk over to Central Park and have a nice picnic.

Have you been to Zabar's? If not, you have to.

Children's Museum is not far from Museum of Natural History.

dcarch

Go to Zabar's and get a whole bunch of stuff to make your own lunch, than walk over to Central Park and have a nice picnic.

Have you been to Zabar's? If not, you have to.

Children's Museum is not far from Museum of Natural History.

dcarch

I was thinking of something like this, but was going to recommend Fairway. Even if the weather is filthy, you can always find various covered areas in the park. For added entertainment value, I recommend eating by the lake, where you can watch clueless people trying to row boats :wink:

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Wait time at that Shake Shack will really vary. If you can get there by 11:30 it's usually 20 minutes or less, but anywhere between noon and 2 I'd brace for twice that. I like to sit downstairs.

The Luke's Lobster at 81st & Amsterdam is also quite tasty, though the menu is small (lobster roll, crab roll, shrimp roll, crab claws, a couple chowders/bisques, soda, chips, and beer.)

The Zabar's picnic idea is good too, especially with some bagels from H&H next door thrown in.

Edited to add: also, food truck food court outside Tavern on the Green.

Edited by jm chen (log)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Chris! I hope you'll be able to make at least one of the Manhattan Cocktail Classic events this weekend.

Also, you should know that it's probably going to rain this weekend which puts a damper on any picnic / outside seating / food truck ideas. Since it's possibly going to rain on Friday as well, the ground may still be wet on Saturday, even if the weather is nice.

You're in prime "crazy brunch line" territory so you're smart to plan ahead.

I've done a late lunch at Shake Shack on a weekend before and it's not the line that'll kill you, it'll be trying to get 4 seats together. The kitchen at the UWS Shake Shack is huge, the seating area is too small. I remember sitting the basement with my friend who had just finished the marathon and getting the evil eye for staying too long.

Safest bet would be to make a reservation somewhere for lunch or go off the beaten path. If it is raining, you don't want to get stuck outside while it's pouring, especially as other people linger due to the weather.

A quick check of OpenTable shows Salumeria Rosi and Mermaid Inn UWS have tables left.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure