• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parfait Amour vs. Parfait Amour Creme de Violette

ForSix

I was looking to acquire a bottle of Marie Brizards Parfait Amour for use in a Jupiter Cocktail. While searching I came across Pages

Parfait Amour Creme de Violette. I was wondering what the difference is if any? Does the Pages have more Violette petals in it, is it made

with a different process? Or did Pages just want to tack on "Creme de Violette" for giggle? I thought that all Parfait Amour uses

Violette's for the coloring but I could be wrong. Thank you.

(I did do a search but I could not find anything pertaining to this exact subject)

That same Pages bottle did not have Creme de Violette on the label in Europe, but as Parfait Amour go it is (in my opinion) by far better than the Brizard product.

I just recently tried the Pages for the first time and think it's my favorite of the Violette/Parfait d'Amour that are available. Best flavor, slightly less sickly sweet than the others and a little bit goes a long way. Unfortunately there's too much inventory of the Rothman & Winter at work to get my manager to order it for me. Maybe need to run a special on Aviations and blow through 2.5 bottles of R&W Creme de Violette so we can have what we really want...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

... to run a special on Aviations and blow through 2.5 bottles of R&W Creme de Violette so we can have what we really want...

Yeah, but Aviations don't use much (at least how I like them). To blow through it, try this:

Rose Window

by Zachary Pearson

1 1/2 oz Gin, Broker's

1 oz Campari

1 oz Crème de Violette, Rothman and Winter

3/4 oz Lemon juice

2 sli Pineapple

1 twst Orange peel

2 ds Orange bitters, Regans' orange bitters

1 Egg white

In a shaker, muddle pineapple, orange peel and bitters. Add remaining ingredients and dry shake for 45 seconds. Add ice and shake for 30 seconds. Double strain into a coupe.

I'm not a big floral guy, but even I like it enough to make it from time-to-time. I suppose from a production point of view, it's a nightmare: muddle, egg white, dry shake, shake, double strain, stand on head, spin around. I can probably churn these out at the rate of, oh, 2 per hour. ;)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Well, the Jupiter is a nice cocktail, if a bit finicky, and I've had very good ones made with the Brizard Parfait Amour.

I've tried the Pages Parfait Amour which is imported into the US, and can't say I think much of it. Tastes like Violet lozenges. I bought it, I regret it. I needed another bottle of violet liqueur like I needed a hole in my head.

The Brizard Parfait Amour reminds me most of Grape Jelly Beans, or some other candy. Different enough from Creme de Violette that I might think about buying one, if I ever saw it again.

Well, maybe. I really don't need any more violet liqueur in the house.

I'm actually a bit unclear about what Parfait Amour is supposed to taste like. A lot of the old (really old) recipes I've seen from distillers manuals are primarily orange flavored, with some spices and orris root (for violet-ish flavor).

But, anyway, as good as the Jupiter can be, it probably isn't worth buying a whole bottle of whichever Parfait Amour you can find. You won't probably finish in your lifetime. Just order one out at a bar. Or make the Jupiter with Creme de Violette or Creme Yvette.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thanks for the replies. Im still not entirely sure about the tacked on moniker of "Creme de Violette", is this a marketing thing or what?

^

I can understand using Creme de Violette or Creme Yvette for a Jupiter or anything else that calls for Parfait Amour. For the moment though I would like to stick with the "traditional" recipe as I am just recently really getting into the cocktail. I want to keep my first taste of said drinks as pure as possible before I start refining for my own tastes.

I looked on at three different producers of Parfait Amour, descriptions not all that in-depth.

Marie Brizard:

The subtle, harmonious marriage between carefully-distilled sweet oranges from Spain, orange blossom and an infusion of vanilla pods.

Bols (Would prefer this one but not easy to get here in the US):

The aromas and flavors are obtained from Curatao orange peel, vanilla pods, almonds and rose petals.

A delicate, soft and gentle combination of rose petals and orange with a subtle hint of vanilla.

oseph Cartron (Seems to be produced the cheapest):

Deep citron acidity. This liqueur is always used as a component in cocktails for its original colour and its lemon taste.

So yes it all seems that it should be an orange flavored liqueur or at least with notes of it. Bols still seems to the most complex of what you can get, especially with their claim to fame of creating it in the first place.

When I do get a a bottle of straight Violette liquer it will be Rothman & Winter Crème De Violette for some Blue Moons and the like. And if the Parfait Amour proves to be to much I can always use it for sweets...or other cocktails.

Edited by ForSix (log)