• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Swedish fish topic

Fat Guy

There are many things to love about Sweden -- Swedish meatballs, IKEA, Swedish Erotica -- but for me Swedish fish overshadow all else. I think it's about time we expressed some love of Swedish fish here. I'm assuming Swedish fish actually exist in Sweden, but I guess you never know.

In addition, my wife and son noticed today a new product from the makers of Swedish Fish: Swedish Fish Aqua Life -- assorted sea creature shapes made from the same stuff as Swedish Fish:

http://www.swedishfish.com/products.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm assuming Swedish fish actually exist in Sweden, but I guess you never know.

Beeing a Swede and never having heard of it I checked, see Wikipedia for the fully story, they do exists, but with a different name and the Swedish fish brand is made specifically for Northern America. But the 'style' of candy is quite popular Sweden.

I love all things gummi (gummy?) and swedish fish are right up there with gummi worms in my book. Totally love the agua life swedish fish as well. All of us have their quirks and mine is I like them stale. If I have the foresight, I'll buy a bag and leave them open for days/ weeks so they get a little dry/crusty. Then I have to suck on them a little to make them soft and squishy before scrunching down on them. Fresh ones will do in a pinch but old ones are the best! :unsure:

Edited by karlos (log)

As a vegetarian, I'd like to point out that swedish fish are not gummi candies. Gummis contain gelatin, swedish fish do not. There's a distinct textural difference.

I always hated gummis, even before I went veg. Swedish fish are a candy I remember discovering and enjoying as a child.

mmm, red Swedish fish. One of the few candies where I like the green ones, too. They aren't lime. But red is my favorite, they are more of a raspberry flavor. I tried the "Sea Life" shapes and somehow the flavors seemed different, I didn't like them as much as the original fish.

If you live in the northeast/midatlantic, Rita's Water Ice has a Swedish Fish flavor ice.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

mmm, red Swedish fish. One of the few candies where I like the green ones, too. They aren't lime. But red is my favorite, they are more of a raspberry flavor. I tried the "Sea Life" shapes and somehow the flavors seemed different, I didn't like them as much as the original fish.

If you live in the northeast/midatlantic, Rita's Water Ice has a Swedish Fish flavor ice.

Ok, I live far from there, so a tasting isn't possible. But, I own an ice cream machine and a blender, and an immersion blender...so, this goes into the future projects file!

I have fond memories of the red ones. When I was in high school, those many years ago, I was on the technical crew for the school plays. The tradition was that if you worked in the lighting booth you lined swedish fish under the small console lamp during a performance, and were rewarded with warm (and gummier) fishes by intermission or shows end! Have never tried them dried though...

Really?

"SUGAR, INVERT SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING, WHITE MINERAL OIL, CARNAUBA WAX, RED 40, YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5 AND BLUE 1."

They are bland & full of artificial color & flavor. :blink:

Now these are fantastic:

http://cdn.greenoptions.com/a/ae/800x600px-LL-0186.jpg

The flavors are very intense & satisfying

I love Swedish fish! I actually prefer the texture to that of 'gummies'. And I never expect candy to taste like actual fruit. I find that one enjoys it more that way. Do I expect Wild Cherry Lifesavers to taste like cherries? Of course not - they taste like 'RED'. And so do red fish. I'm ok with that.

I learned to love Swedish fish when I was working in an ice cream and candy shop, and had just become allergic to chocolate. They were my favorite of the permissible chocolate-free candies. One fish could be savored in small nibbles, and the different colors had distinct and pleasing flavors. Yes, they're not flavored much like actual fruit, but they were and remain a tasty treat. Sadly, though, with the popularity of the small boxes or bags of just mini red fish, it's gotten a little harder to find the full color spectrum without buying a very large bag--and because they are just flavored sugar and starch, I really don't like bringing home such a big bag.

Here's hoping that the other sea creatures will be more available in different colors than the fish...

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)

The Rita's water ice flavor is shockingly true to the candy original. I was pretty amazed at that flavor engineering. It isn't just that they captured the "red" flavor, but it has some slight note of the "gummi" flavor, too. I liked it...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't eaten these in for ever, I found them too soft and sticky to my teeth. I'm all for Haribo gold bears from Germany (though they're made in Hungary or who knows where for the US market). They now even have Saftbären, the same bears but made only with natural juices and colors, and they are delicious! I always bring several bags back from Germany. Love most of their other offerings as well.

I guess I'll have to try the swedish fish once more some day.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Found the 'Aqualife' version at a shop with a good selection of candies recently. They were pretty good, but the color/flavor combos weren't quite the same as what I remembered from the original fish in the bulk boxes. I didn't care so much for the purple ones.