• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Telling time in the kitchen

There's one on the microwave, one on the oven, and one on the stereo.

I have a few things like that in the kitchen but I'm considering a bigger, dedicated clock that doesn't require focusing on a small, incidental digital readout on an appliance.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have a few things like that in the kitchen but I'm considering a bigger, dedicated clock that doesn't require focusing on a small, incidental digital readout on an appliance.

Yes, I have an old battery operated wall clock over the sink, in addition to the digital ones on the micro, the rice cooker, the oven, and the tv. I tried moving the wall clock out of the kitchen, but after constantly looking at the spot on the wall where it used to be for well over a week, I put it back.

We have a nice wood clock on the wall above the sink. It's far more useful than the digital clocks on the stove and microwave. We had a great ceramic "art" clock with coffee, fried eggs, toast, and bacon-strip hands, but alas, a housekeeper broke it several years ago.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Yes. This one. Circa late 1940's to mid-1950's. It was in my Mom's kitchen and now it's in mine.

006.JPG

It doesn't doesn't necessarily match anthing else in the kitchen, but it is THE clock, even though there's a clock on the microwave, the coffe maker, the range and the kitchen timer. This is the one I watch when I need "30 seconds" or "1 minute" because it's got a second hand. Its on the wall over my breakfast bar, and I will cry very hard when it dies.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

There are lots of time pieces around the kitchen but I have this battery-powered one that is also a timer (long-ring) that is quite loud. I can hear it when I'm out on the deck or in the driveway.

HPIM4065.JPG

I can easily see it from the other end of the kitchen.

This is a newer model - comes in several colors - is cheap.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On the mantlepiece

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Wait, you have a mantle piece in your kitchen? I may have to hate you for that! :laugh:

Edited for typo

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

One battery analog clock on the wall. One clock on the microwave never set because DH constantly hits the wrong buttons and 'unsets' the clock anyway.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The digital clocks on the oven and microwave to tell the time, but an analog clock on the wall so you can see that you've still got 15 minutes left before you need to get the beans on.

I want Pierogi's red and white 40s clock.

On the iPod dock, on the microwave, and an analog battery-powered clock on the wall. And also one that's part of a hang-around-your-neck timer, but that's less useful as a clock because it's more useful as a timer, and thus the readout is usually set to timer rather than clock. But probably my most-used kitchen clock is the one on my cell phone.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I tell time in the kitchen the same way as everywhere else:

watch.jpg

I want Pierogi's red and white 40s clock.

Me, too!

I want your watch - or any watch - all mine bit the dust and I haven't got a replacement yet. :laugh:

Edited to fix spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wall clock, analog. Appliance clocks, with timers, digital. Digital timer. Analog loud ringing timer. Plus several other clock-like devices.

Karen Dar Woon

I want your watch - or any watch - all mine bit the dust and I haven't got a replacement yet. :laugh:

I know the feeling. Mine tend to die when I'm far away from home. That one was purchased about 6 years ago to replace the last in a long line of airport SWATCH watches. It cost less than $20 but is now sporting a $25 watch band :hmmm: - knock on wood, it's still keeping time.

ETA and keep this on topic - I'm compulsive about having all digital displays in the kitchen read the same time. I have a carefully developed scheme for resetting them to ensure that outcome !

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I spend an inordinate amount of time hanging out in the kitchen and often don't wear my watch while I am cooking or reading the paper or whatever, so having a big analog wall clock is essential; that would be a Nelson Ball Clock (not an original) which looks great in our sixties-ish kitchen, but is very impractical since it collects exactly what kind of dirt you would suspect in a kitchen and needs to be wiped periodically. My advice about kitchen clocks: get one that's easy to clean.

Love that red and white clock.

We have an analog wall clock above the back door in our kitchen, but it's so high up we never think to look at it. It's just sort of there. We don't have a microwave or coffee maker, so that's the only one in the kitchen. Well, there is a digital clock on our stove but we've never been able to get it set to the correct time so it's basically useless.

I have a nice analog wall clock hanging above the microwave. I'm not sure when the battery went dead in the wall clock. After a nearby lightning strike 4 years ago, the digital display in the microwave went into what I call "Klingon mode", with a bunch of intermittently dead segments - if you know about what time it is, you can decode it. My GF got me a nice wrist watch which keeps good time. I periodically set it(5 minutes ahead, but that's another story) using an internet time server. :biggrin:

With Blue_Dolphin here. I didn't buy a nice chronometer watch for looks.

Okay I bought it mostly for looks but still.

Also I have a few egg timers. Egg timers are awesome.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.