• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Cutting Board to Stove

weinoo

Mitch, do you mean to imply that you haven't done all your mise en place ahead and placed in appropriately sized bowls? :wink:

I love my little bowls, but, but, but...

Which gives me an idea...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I often move items from the board, scooping with my hands, and arranging the items on a plate, according to the order in which they enter the pan. Or, I use prep containers (sandwich squares work very well) or a measuring cup. Mostly I try *not* to transfer items using a knife, as at work I am in a crowded community kitchen, and teaching the others not to transfer using a blade.

Karen Dar Woon

I often move items from the board, scooping with my hands, and arranging the items on a plate, according to the order in which they enter the pan.

Me too, except I usually scrape or lift with the knife - Mise en Plate :biggrin: . Small quantities - garlic, herbs - get scraped directly from the cutting board into the pan, usually a 6 X 13 X 2 inch (15 X 33 X 5 cm) slab of oak with a handle/hanging extension. It's thick enough that I can directly scrape from it onto a plate sitting behind it on the counter. I've got a thinner 12 X 18 (30 X 45 cm) polyethylene board that I use for chicken or turkey.

I use a combination of these, depending on what I'm cooking and how much of a particular ingredient there is. For stir-fries and things where I really need to do all the prep first, I'll transfer the ingredients into small bowls.

Otherwise, if I'm using a lightweight cutting board, I may scrape from the board to the pan (with the knife upside-down, of course), or use the flat of a Chinese cleaver.